Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Bevel gear modeling

Chao

Hey All,

I read through all the responses and still have a few questions. I plan to cut a rather large bevel gear on a 3-axis vertical mill, with the gear blank resting on an indexing table that on a angled wedge to the machine table. I plan to use an special made endmill to cut out material and leave the desired profile. As I understand bevel gears, the tooth profile is perpendicular to the surface of the gear, and tapers down in size for the outside of the gear to the inside. I am starting to work on the MasterCam for the program and could use some advise. Is there any circular interpolation involved? Anyone of experience cutting bevel gears with endmills? Thanks,

Chao, if the customer cannot give you a model of the gear, reverse-engineering it from the master is your best bet. You should be able to just do one tooth, then rotate-copy for however many teeth it has. Then you can generate edge curves around the teeth to get a continuous contour for the chamfer.

Or, if you are cutting it on rotary 4th, just do 1 tooth and transform-rotate the toolpath to go all the way around.

If its for Gleason, good chance it is a hypoid rear-end gear for a car.

This is for smtc09. For straight bevel gears, the end tooth form is close to a spur gear tooth form, but not exact, I think. Anyway, all the tooth elements (straight lines) converge at a point, so a fixed tilt on the table isn't going to help that much. I would choose the profile to be perpendicular to the pitch line.