Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanning

Joeyls319

Assuming that you're talking about what I think you are, 'fanning' a part is typically chipping both ends to just clean them up

This is typically done with torched or sawed plates or a die set to establish a known centerline from which to work. Usually done in stamping dies, maybe elsewhere...

Is this what you meant?

C

Millman,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm trying to swarf around an angled surface with a 1/2 endmill on a Haas TR-6. My problem is the swarf works pretty good until the tool reaches the radiused part of the surface. When the machine starts to rotate the cutter digs into the part. It's only at the start of those points. I'm not sure if this is the best way to do this oper. but it's the only way I could get it to work. I thought maybe fanning had something to with it. I could probably e-mail you the part if you want. I can't get on the FTP site.

Joey

Well here you need to do this little different I have found that Mastercam doesw better use Sync method for this type of a toolpath. I would go into another level and create a equal number of points on the top and the bottom chains.(need to keep these reasonalbe or it becomes a pain) I would then use the same tool path but tell it sync instead of chain and then make sure it says points. I have found it keeps the tool correct to the surface better this way than just chains alone.

Millman,

I tryed the point thing and it looked good on the screen but when I posted it I can see in the code that the machine will rotate back a little and the tool is digging in at that point. I just read your last post. I never heard of "povit distance" in the post. How do I check it and is it easy to correct.

Thanks

Joey

Hum I am going to have to pass that off to your dealer. It is not that I don't want to help you but I would need to know so much to help you that It would take about 20m ore of these to possbily help you where as the dealer should be able to get you where you need very quick. I am sorry to say that but very busy right now.

"Povit" distance is "pivot" distance spelled sideways. Pivot distance is required by some posts. It could mean the distance from tool tip to pivot, or possibly the distance between the two pivot axes. Where 'pivot distance' is actually used depends on the post.

"Fanning" is the change in direction of the tool axis in a 5-axis swarf toolpath from the nominal wall ruling direction to the corner ruling direction. If you give a fanning distance, the tool axis vectors will 'fan' from the wall direction to the corner direction.

See P.388 in Mastercam V.9 Mill/Design Tutorial.

Joeyls319,

One thing that came to mind is to try decreasing the tolerance/linear deviation settings in the toolpath parameters. Increasing tool vector length might help as well. Also, if the corners that your tool is swarfing through has a radius close to the tool radius you might consider using a smaller dia tool so the endmill doesn't "rotate" so tightly around the top corner of your geometery chain/surface and risk gouging.

HTH,

steve