Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Reducing the number of post - Ideas please

I was looking for some ideas on how to simplify and/or reduce the number of posts we have. Right now we have about 40 different post processors. We built most of them (Thanks to the fine folks here on EMC), but 2 or 3 were purchased. 

Now was have a bunch more machines trickling in and rather than keep adding a post for every machine I was looking for some ideas to maybe set up prompts or something else. This is sort of a side project, not too important. Just putting out some feelers.   

How often are you moving jobs around?  How big are the differences between them, what types of differences are there?  You might be able to do the majority of the changes using MD/CD, and have a common post.  Shouldn't take too many mods in the post to make this happen.  Seems to me you could cover each category (vertical, horizontal, lathe) pretty easily with a single post each.  I personally don't know if I would do it with prompts and whatnot, too much work in the post.  However somtimes, there is something to be said for using one combo md/cd/post, and keeping them together.  I have done it using the same post with different md/cd and managed the differences that way, its not bad, isn't particularly hard to maintain.  Biggest thing to keep in mind is setting the defaults for the control def, so when you migrate/copy for another machine, you don't lose all of your settings.

One other method or thing to consider, is if you know where the jobs may run in the future, once the mc side is proven, post code for every machine that may run that job, that way you have "proven process code" that you don't need to open mc for unless you are making updates.

I'd say start by making a list of machines:

Config (vert, hori, lathe, ect.),  then sort by Control / or code compatability

things like 4th axes are easy to turn off in the code, but you need the support for them in the first place.  I don't know on the lathe side, but I would assume it would be the same way here.

Considering the commonalities in code, if M codes are the only main difference, then there is defintely no need for a new post.  But say you are going from fanuc to okuma, to seimens, then maybe you should consider a different post for each.  But fanuc to mazak or mits, no need really, just setup some machine specific configuration post blocks and carry on.  You could have it auto select from the control def, or you could have a user prompt ( would do the auto-select method )

Good luck.

• Like 1

We have prompts but only for the rotary output.

0 (none), 1 (rotary without lock codes), 2 (rotary with lock codes), 3 (simultaneous)

It works well for us.

I think a map of all your required configurations is in order, and then you'll see the wood for the trees.

I like Huskers idea ref M code differences - this could be a prompt.

Lastly ref new machines - M codes are configurable so when you buy your new machine, specify the M codes you want to match the rest of your machines. Get the machine supplier to do the work for you!

• Like 1
4 hours ago, EX-wccprogrammer said:

I can combine all of your posts into one workable post per machine type ( one for mills, one for lathe).

I would need the existing posts, machine definitions to ensure the new post would output properly.

PM me if interested.

Thanks for the offer, but I actually enjoy working on our posts.  It helps keep me sane. :D

But I do appreciate it and I'll definitely keep you in mind if/when I come across any road blocks. 

• Like 1