Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Verify NOT Showing Crash

Chris Rizzo

I've got a part here that has MULTIPLE rapid moves right through the part. It's on a 2d Pocket facing routine. You see the crash very clearly in backplot, but verify does NOT show the massive gouge that would result....? mad.gifmad.gifmad.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

I'll upload it to the FTP. It's the very last toolpath on file WATERPUMP4.zip

P.S. I'm using WCS in the file.

Cmr !

Do you know that in operation manager you can right-click on operations and have this

collision check

quote:

By checking your toolpaths for collisions and gouges, you can prevent future problems while machining a part. Collisions and gouges can cause damage to a part, tool, CNC machine, and the machine operator. A collision occurs when the tool contacts material during a rapid move. A gouge occurs when the tool removes more material than desired, usually during a linear or arc move. The system compares a surface toolpath to an STL file that represents the finished shape of the part to see where gouges have occurred.

This functionality is only available in Mill Level 1 or higher. You can check all 2-axis, 2½-axis, and 3-axis toolpath types for collisions, including contour, pocket, and surface toolpaths. You can compare 3D surface toolpaths to STL files in order to see where gouges have occurred. You can also check 3D surface toolpaths for collisions and gouges at the same time. You can check more than one toolpath for gouges and collisions at the same time if the toolpaths are all in the same tool plane. You can also set the color and level of the geometry that marks collisions and gouges. This function works with flat, bull, or ball endmills.

Note: Tool holder collisions and gouges are not reported.

iT ALSO SHOWS COLLISION .

quote:

Collision/gouge check summary

Note: Only the tool is checked for collisions and gouges.

The tool holder is not checked.

Number of operations analyzed: 1

Number of reported collisions: 3

Total reported collision volume: 0.532483

Total collision volume: 0.532483

Number of reported gouges: 0

Total reported gouge volume: 0.000000

Total gouge volume: 0.000000

Volume of material removed: 0.53248

Gouge/collision points with a volume of at least 0.000982

Collision: X0.64500 Y2.10500 Z0.93750 Volume = 0.243457 Depth = 0.56252 Tool #7 ID #28

Collision: X0.64500 Y2.10500 Z0.75000 Volume = 0.098543 Depth = 0.18749 Tool #7 ID #28

Collision: X2.31122 Y1.12500 Z0.75000 Volume = 0.190483 Depth = 0.75000 Tool #7 ID #28

[ 02-05-2004, 03:31 AM: Message edited by: Iskander teh Owl ]

Thanks for looking at it Iskander,

I ran that collision check too, and sure enough it did validate a collison. It is a nice feature to have, BUT the tool totally rapids through a major portion of the part, and verify shows absolutley nothing of it. confused.gif

Is this one for CNC to check out? I could send them the program AND the actual part, WITH the tool that rapided through it! curse.gif

quote:

BUT the tool totally rapids through a major portion of the part, and verify shows absolutley nothing of it.

When I ran verify on specific operation it shows me collision (colored in different color).

If I have stop on collision turned on it also stops there .

Yet I have not checked all the program operations .

Make sure that you have stop on collision turned on.

Also check your color gamma (in verification parameters ->set colors ensure that collision color differs from others )

If you think it is a bug send your file to qc

HTH

Sorry it took me a day to get back to y'all. It indeed looks like my crash is entirely missed by 9.1. I did run verify on that particular operation tonight at my class (running sp2), and it certainly looked different than on my machine with regular 9.1!

I guess I need to make some time and upgrade my rig to SP2...Up until now, 9.1 has been just fine, and I did'nt want to "rock the boat".

thanks