Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machining a Vacuum Jig

Travis_Buchanan

Check out file 1230.MC9 on cadcams ftp site. I have already machined this in sheets and have cut the pockets in the sheets. I have glued them together and now I have a 16" thick block that I need to machine this raduis on. I will do a surface pocket rough, then a 5-axis surface to finish. How can I machine this part without creating a bunch of operations and not cut air? Thanks

if it's just a one-off you could just cut the whole curve at once using wireframe - ruled

(it will cut air over pockets)

(hit cycle start and walk away)

or create surface from solid - faces, then surface program

or create curves - all edges - solids - faces create surfaces, then surface program

there are a few ways to do this.....hth

Why dont you use 5axis flowline. Take a look at 1230CRAZY.ZIP and see if that is what you want. It will rapid between each pocket automatically. This way will keep the head going in the right direction the whole time allowing you to keep the tool short also.

Surface rough pocket for what you are doing. I might look at 3 of the mat 3 different c-plnaes. Dont forget all toopaths are avaiavlbe in 5 axis that are in 3 axis you just use the c-planes and t-planes to control the head is all.

Millman, that is the kind of stuff I was looking for. To be honest, I have never used a flowline toolpath before, but I will now. I am the type of person that if I got something that works I stick with it. I have been using Mastercam since V6 and I probably have only used 50% of the toolpaths if that much. I've been doing 5-axis for about a year now and I use curve 5-ax & multi-surface for 95% of my 5-axis work. I'm a learning though, you all just keep teaching me.

Well my problem is that I am never happy with ok I always want soemthing better and I play untill I found what I want and even then I wonder if there is even a better way. I am glad that was what you wanted.

I want to add something about that powerful toolpath something I didnt do but can explain pretty easy. If you go to the geomentry part of that operation you will see tool axis control. Well this is just what it means on your part I did pattern surface. If I need ot do a deep cavity part I will draw lines around the part on where I want the head angle to be at the start, middle and end. If it is a very complex part with alot fo shifts and transititons then I could have 20 control lines. So to give an exlpaintino on your part go to front view. I want you to draw a line at 3 oclock noon and nine oclock using the part as the place to pull the geomentry from. I then want you to do a new toolpath using Flow5AX. You will grab the soild surface and then for then for the tool axis control grab those three lines. The trick here si that it is the oppsite of what you would think the aroow needs to point away fro mthe surface not to it. Why I have no idea a guess it is a sick joke. Then I you doen done and process the toolpath. I then want you to go back to front view if not there. I want you to comapre the toolpath and the head as you run both. On the toolpath I sent you it is from about 1 oclock to 11 oclokc where as this was it goes from 3clock to 9 oclock may not want to do it that way but you could if you wanted too. The reason I am shwoing you tihs is just like I say a tight area and you want ot know what the head is going to do then this is where you get that control the others are good also but I use lines and patter surface the most. I hope that helps and good luck.

Incase you were wodnering the better we all get the better our country gets. I am gald to share and glad to help others. I feel lucky that I do something I love and that I make great money doing and seems so natural to do.