Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Milling Aluminum Nickel Bronze.....

MetalFlake

The stuff is not in my reference book. Does anyone have experience milling this stuff and would be willing to share their experiences?? I need to know ball park SFM for a HSS-co rougher end mill. The stuff seems soft but with the Nickle in it I'm a bit fraid it's gonna be some tough cuttin.

Thanks for any input.

MF

HSS cutter good luck run it like inconel. I may be a little slow but no more than say 30 sfm with HSS. I would also look into Carbide for this stuff. It makes some very good wear parts but a real pain to cut once it gets that galze coat going on the finish cuts. It is not soemthign you can snaek up on very well. It will go good to cut to size first try sounds scary but found that wroks best if tryign to take off anything less that .002 break out the hone for id and emory for the od. If cutting acme threads keep it floded and cut it with a medium rake shoudl do fine. We use to cut a 2 lead 2" 2 acme real pai nni the arse. I finnaly go tired of makign them and sent them out to a sepcaility house a little more expensive but I had them make the matchign shafts for the nut. Great wrok they did roll cutting the shafts that had 110" fo full threads in 316 SS.

I hope that helps but look into carbide I know you will not be sorry.

Ron, isn't it ironic how softer cutter material like HSS can cut better in HAF metals?

I remember the first time this guy told me to use HSS on some nickel that was royally kicking my arse.. I'm like, "Ok, cuckoo.gif I'll see if I can find one.."

I tried like hell not to find one, but did. Then came the long, uncomfortable "you were right" silence. bonk.gif

'Rekd

Well cobalt is really ythe best for this application. The carbide chips so easy and that si what kills it. The HSS does better becuase it has a much better toughness and yeah I have taken some 1" cobalt roughers and took a 1" depth of cut and cut SS all day long that way and then take the best tool that carbide index people make not take .1 for 2 inchs and right burn up.

I am thinkig a Tialn coated endmill dry might do good in this application also.

SHARP CUTTERS

SHARP CUTTERS

Repeat over and over.

Test, take a brand new file to your bronze, and then take a wipe with a less than sharp one. The contrast will amaze you. A sharp tool doesn't have to be hard as carbide to cut bronze, but a dull tool wants to skate right off.

Start with cold rolled steel speeds, 80 sfm for HSS, and a bit less than CRS feed.

HTH