Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Okuma, Machining Navi

Santa Fe

I need to research into this function and my first thought was to come this this place and ask.

Have anybody used this function of Okuma already and if so please share your experiences.

Also is it something I would control via G|M codes or is it something with the machine parameters and a switch on the control of the machine,

I will research also at other places but I am trying to gather all the info I can from all the good places I know of.

Thanks in advance.

There are four different versions of NAVI. 

1. NAVI Mg - this is a guided version for the mill. It uses a microphone and other input from user to minimize chatter. It is more of a manual operation.

2. NAVI Mi - This is an automatic version for milling spindles that uses a vibration sensor to analyze chatter and adjust speeds automatically. 

3. NAVI Lg - This is a guided version for lathe turning operations. This is used in conjunction with the spindle speed variation function to minimize chatter.

4. NAVI Tg - This is a guided version for lathe threading operations.

The NAVI-Mi is really impressive. We have a customer with a Multus U3000 that has the NAVI-Mi. They were using a 1/4 inch end mill sticking out about 1.75 inch to mill down inside a pocket on a part. The programmer set the initial speed at 6000 RPM. The endmill was chattering and the finish was poor. The operator reduced the speed to 3500 RPM to get a good finish but the cycle was slower. we helped them set up the NAVI Mi and it bumped the speed to 6014 RPM's and the finish was great with much shorter time in cut. The software shows you real time signals from the vibration sensor in both time domain and frequency domain. You can zero in on the unwanted frequency components and minimize them to improve cutting performance. 

• Like 2