Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to maximize pocket efficiency on angled surfaces

So this is something I have been trying to figure out for a little while now. I am programming wheels right now and the machines these are running on have low memory availability, so I have been asked to stay away from high speed toolpaths. Not a problem, but I still want to maximize the efficiency of my programs, and I am always looking to learn new ways to machine things.

So here is what I am trying to figure out. When I machine a wheel, lets say it is a super concave wheel. When I pockets out the spokes, if I do a generic pocket, I get a lot of air time where the tool is not machining anything. I put an example in the post. As you can see, there are a lot of areas the tool is in the air. I put this together just as an example to exaggerate my point.

The 2nd example is kind of what Im looking to accomplish. Essentially I am trying to figure out the best way to "adapt" the tool path recognize only when its cutting material. 

I know I can make slices at various steps and make multiple toolpaths at the various depths, but I am curious if there is a faster way of accomplishing this.

Anybody care to toss any advice my way? Thanks!

Capture.PNG

3dcam-12.png

12 hours ago, Leon82 said:

Make a stock model and use rest material.

I'm pretty sure you can make stock model from solid now also. So save the solid as an STL, then make your stock model

So when I design the wheel, I do it in Solidworks. At the same time, I import a blank profile into Mastercam and make it its own level, so I imagine I can just use that as the stock model. I haven't been using HST for too long yet, but would you mind expanding on that comment? I know I have seen the rest material options in some of the HST. Are you referring to that like say in Dynamic Mill? Or using rest material as an option in just a regular pocketing routine?

16 hours ago, mayday said:

why not program 1 spoke with HS tool paths, output in incremental and call as a sub between rotations

I suppose I could try that as well. That is a good thought. This is why programming is so fun for me, I always like finding various ways to do something so I can pull from my bag of tricks depending on when I need them. 

Thanks for the input!

11 hours ago, rad_rob said:

So when I design the wheel, I do it in Solidworks. At the same time, I import a blank profile into Mastercam and make it its own level, so I imagine I can just use that as the stock model. I haven't been using HST for too long yet, but would you mind expanding on that comment? I know I have seen the rest material options in some of the HST. Are you referring to that like say in Dynamic Mill? Or using rest material as an option in just a regular pocketing routine?

You go in to stock model, then you going to set up your parameters for stock you would use a solid like your blank profile you made in SolidWorks.

I don't even think you need to have any operations you can make a stock model simply from that.

Then in Dynamic Opti rough pick your finished model and there's a setting for either stock or rest of material.

You're going to pick one other operation and select your stock model as the operation

• Thanks 1