Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Wire...

Hey guys!  Are there any MC wire gurus around here?  LOL!  I know Wire is the redheaded stepchild of  the Mastercam world.  I have a couple of questions about cutting things unattended and leaving slugs or punches hanging to be dropped in the morning.  Whenever I try to program things to cut this way Mastercam always generates these crazy extra lead ins for cutting the tab.  Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this?  I can post a Zip2go file of what I don't want, if that helps.

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, jeremy7440 said:

Hey guys!  Are there any MC wire gurus around here?  LOL!  I know Wire is the redheaded stepchild of  the Mastercam world.  I have a couple of questions about cutting things unattended and leaving slugs or punches hanging to be dropped in the morning.  Whenever I try to program things to cut this way Mastercam always generates these crazy extra lead ins for cutting the tab.  Can anyone give me some advice on how to do this?  I can post a Zip2go file of what I don't want, if that helps.

Thanks!

Send me a file in another form, .dwg,step,parasolid.iges etc. I only have an older version of MC.

30 minutes ago, jeremy7440 said:

Del,

My question isn't really a matter of geometry (which is all you will get if I send you a .dwg etc.), but more to do with the lead in and lead out functions that Mastercam automatically generates.  I attached a .dwg file.  It is just a quick sample I drew up to get these questions answered.

test.dwg

File was empty. is it a punch shape or die shape?

Hey Jeremy,

I am certainly not a guru, but instead of having your slugs fall off and potentially damaging your wire machine for lights out work. This is how I set my parameters so it can rough skim. When I come in, in the morning, all I need to do is cut the tabs and the part is done. Hope this helps

Wire.jpg

Brandon is correct. You can also rough all the punches and then cut them off and skim by setting rough tab finish separately and setting your lead out to like .025 and adding number of skim passes after ab cut.

OK....here are my Cut Parameters....set like Brandon's.

cut param.png

Here are 4 sample "Punches" that I would like to cut

punches.png

Here is a close up of the leads that are being generated for cutting the tab on the 4th "punch".  I tried to mark in red the lead that is giving me trouble. The arrow heads indicate machining direction.  For the other 3 punches, the program threads in the original kerf and makes a straight cut to cut the tab.  I would like the 4th punch to skim to the tab and then stop and wait for me to drop it, like it would do if I was cutting that punch individually.  Does this make any sense?

leads.png

On add skim cuts before tab, set it at 0

select Rough tab finish separately

Skim cuts after tab set to number of skim passes you want.

Ad a stop before and after tab cuts

set lead out to .025

it will rough all the pockets leaving a tab

and come to a stop before tab cuts

then it will do all the skims

OOPS Nevermind. This is for Dies.