Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cheating Mastercam to get a good toolpath with an undercut tool

crazy^millman

I have a 11" deep chamfer in a tight area. I have a 100mm dia tool cutting the 1" tall undercut. I have a chamfer above it I need to cut. I roughed the undercut using Dynamic Contour toolpaths and then steeped up in 2 increments to get most of the meat out of there using the same process. Now I want to semi finish in this roughing stage with .025 step up increments. I went through all my bag of tricks to get a good toolpath using this undercut tool and got flowline to get me motion, but it kept wanting to retract through the part. Not good. I need to keep the tool coming back to center to flush the chips then go back to each cut. I was thinking okay really old school way I would do this with pencil and paper is G0 to center then G1 to start of Arc Swing arc then back to center then move up rinse and repeat. I know my tool diameter and such and could make code by hand in maybe 10-15 minutes. Flowline is close so I just turned up the arc tolerances and made it give me good arcs. I then saved the toolpath to a level and deleted all the retract moves. Now I have a bunch of circle that represent the center line of the tool. I need to get it to the center and back at each .025 cut. I remember someone putting up about points and then using the lead in/out with no values, but tell it use entry and exit points. I have a toolpath that goes down the center of the hole to the 1st point. Then moves out to center line and swings the arc. I then move back to the same center point and then move up .025 to the next center point and finish and repeat. Now I have 25 chains and 25 points to work from and a chain manager that is full of stuff, but start to finish motion that I can be confident will give me what I want. I have one point toolpath in to use my 1st dynamic undercut roughing, then my 2 step up to rough the chamfer and then my semi finish chamfer and then my one point toolpath out. Nice clean motion that will do everything I need. Yes a lot of work getting to this point, but now I bent Mastercam to my will and got exactly what I wanted to make a good toolpath that is safe and efficient.

Just wanted to share a way to use Mastercam that will hopefully be helpful to others. Have a good weekend.

• Like 2

Got to the next chamfer and nothing was working. I did however have a lower chamfer that is the mirror of the upper chamfer on the middle section. I got to thinking if I could mirror that toolpath and then offset it the difference of the 17.5mm thick X 100mm diameter then I could use it to drive the toolpath. Nope mirror was haing a fit and wanting to flip it into the part. I have motion that works, just need to get it into place then drive it correctly. I back plotted that toolpath then saved that to a level. I then Dynamically moved it and spun it like I wanted. I then had to use make spline with the 2 chains that were over lapping in the start and end of my spiral, but now I have a Flowline Spiral cutting top to bottom to the bottom chamfer and a bottom to top spiral cutting the top chamfer. Geometry is just that and if you use it the correct way you get cut just about anything.

• Like 1