Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

multiaxis roughing help

Kolson1989

Hello, 

I am new to master cam/5axis work.  I apologize in advance for the vague questions as I am learning.  My goal at the moment is to rough out an external pocket (water channel) wrapping around a tapered cylinder.  I will try to post pics of the job at hand.  The roughing tool path seems very straight forward I feel I must have some parameters goofed up.  When I go to regenerate, it just locks up essentially. Any help would be awesome! Again i apologize for the lack of information/terminology,  multiaxis is a very intriguing subject and would like to incorporate it more.  P.S my processor does post full 5 paths, I have achieved a swarf path when cutting a tapered wall insert pocket.  Also I attached a zip of the file (at least i think i did, 1st attempt at it) the surfaces level are what I would like to cut.  I did have to delete some wireframe  on the top chain of the surface pocket in order to post the zip.  That I what i was using for containment.

Thanks!!  

rgh.ZIP

You were very close. Uncheck the stock and try it 1st. If you use stock pick the one surface above the pocket not the whole solid. No need for the Containment boundary as the walls define this shape. Regen the toolpath and you should be good. I do recommend turning on the ramp approach in the linking page of the toolpath for First Entry. Where some of the other 5 Axis toolpaths shine since we can control the process to get in and out of the pocket. On 5 Axis I like to do a Angle sweep into a cut, but with Multi-Axis roughing you don't have the same options. 

• Thanks 1
56 minutes ago, Kolson1989 said:

Thanks for the advice!  I tried it and got the same result, a terribly long regen time and a wild toolpath.  It appears to want to cut on every side of the surface. 

Go to the stock page click it to turn back on and then remove the stock then click it back off. Click on offset from floor in the machining strategy and get rid of the ceiling surface. Now regen and it should take a few seconds. 

image.png

Just now, Kolson1989 said:

tried that but still gets jammed up while regenerating.  I screen shot a pick of what the multi-threading window says. 

Thanks for taking the time to look at this!  

stuck_multithreading.PNG

Start from scratch with a new operation and it should work. I have seen things get odd when you keep changing things in an operation and doing the same thing in a new operation sorts it all out.

• Thanks 1

OK finally got something going.  Only thing i see is that the cut time is 2+hrs.  I have depth of cut to .02 and step over to .02, is there something im missing that is causing a longer run time? or is my tool choice poor?  possibly a .250 bullnose?  Thanks!!!

p.s Im regenerating with a .250 w.03r .02 DOC and a .15 step over.