Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutting pattern on part wall using Lollipop/Undercutting tool

Slideleft

Hello All,

My company machines hinged wedding rings (picture below). I make them on my Haas OM2A in two operations. Recently I've been adding a faux hammered texture using Surface Contour Toolpaths and a radius keycutter (picture below). A customer seeing this requested a Celtic pattern (examples below). I know I could approximate it cutting in and out of material using a Surface Contour toolpath, very small Lollipop cutter and VERY small step downs, but I'm wondering if there is a slick programming method that would allow me to stay in material and contour along the paths around the ring. In other words, approximate the motion of a 4th axis, using  3 axis and Lollipop cutter. Hope I'm being clear. Ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

image.png.75a37b7d822ee3c9a726c82b26834e5a.png

image.png.f5eb85acb38550f8ede758a56fdec484.png

image.png.d7f88c915eb38260b630ab358dd2e6b9.png

• Like 2

Edit:

I think I know what you're asking now.  I do something similar when engraving part numbers with a small ball endmill canted 45° from the surface.  What I do is make a wireframe on the centerline of what I want to engrave, then offset it from the surface by the radius of the ball (or lollipop in your case) minus the engraving depth, then do a 3d contour with comp off (at centerline) and drop the tool down by it's radius.  You'll need to include your lead-in and lead-out in your geometry to avoid gouging.

Engraving.PNG

• Like 1

Nice work, I once made a wedding band on an EDM. We were given 3 gold plates and told to cut the same scallop pattern on all 3. They then took the middle ring and aligned it so the 2 outer rings were in line and the center one was offset the difference of the scallop. They ask for the gold shaving afterwards. The owner and I both laughed since the Jeweler had no idea with EDM was. Once we show him the dust it created the got the joke.

Yes I think 3D contour will do exactly what you're asking for.

11 hours ago, Slideleft said:

Creating the 3D path(s) in Solidworks is turning out to be the tricky part.

You left that part of the equation out. Not sure how easy it is to sketch 3D curves to drive a center line in Solidworks is. In standalone Mastercam it is easy. You  might be able to install the standalone and draw in the design then import that into the Solidworks.