Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Using stock model for multiple part stock

vulgamore

I'm having some issues getting stock model toolpath to locate properly. Part is being programmed in MCAM 2019 on a horizontal. TOP view center of tombstone looking down on top of the tombstone. I found this post 

But i cant seem to get it to work properly. i create the initial stock model with a WCS at a specific point on the part to carry it through to the next operations like i interpreted this post says. when i do that it creates the stock model out in space away from the part. if i select the top view it puts the model where it is suppose to be. If i do that when i create the stock model for OP2 it stays at the OP1 location. What am i doing wrong here?

I attached an example file. i would like to create stock model for initial stock. Machine the OP1 part, create another stock model for that op being complete. Then on the next face (OP2) create a stock model for that OPS initial stock which would be the completed OP1. And continue it around the tombstone for the other operations. keeping the stock model tool paths associated which each other to show part progress.

HORI_TEST.mcam

Thank you Josh, now my next question.

If for example i profile a part on OP1 how do i get the stock model to the next face and also rotate the model to bring the non machined side outwards? In the example you sent that drilled hole would be towards in the inside of the tombstone

2 minutes ago, vulgamore said:

Ahh perfect, its always orientated with top view but you can changed the angle and location. 

Thank you josh, I think I've got it now

ok great, it can be a bit confusing. A simpeler way is to convert the stock model to a PMesh because then you can easily rotate and move the pmesh around just like if it were any other type of geometry with translate, rotate, mirror etc. but the disadvantage to this method is the pmeshes dont update when toolpaths change whereas the stock model method does. So if you dont care to have the stock models have the abilit to update each other with changes then the Pmesh method is way easier but if you need to be able to change the B0 toolpath and see the stock update on lets say b90 or b180 then the stock model method is better. below is where to find the convert to pmesh if you ever dont feel like making all those planes and just want to rotate a pmesh around. then the pmesh can be selected for another stock model. Just something else i wanted to mention since its another way to do this task.

4.jpg

• Like 1

PMESH would be much simpler. That would probably work fine for simple work

I've got one more question that has come up now. Is there a way to add all those initial stock models to simulator? if i go into simulator options and go to stock model i can only pick one stock model at a time. Is there a way to do multiples? that way i could see the entire tombstone being simulated at once? or is that too much to ask for?

24 minutes ago, vulgamore said:

PMESH would be much simpler. That would probably work fine for simple work

I've got one more question that has come up now. Is there a way to add all those initial stock models to simulator? if i go into simulator options and go to stock model i can only pick one stock model at a time. Is there a way to do multiples? that way i could see the entire tombstone being simulated at once? or is that too much to ask for?

I think you would need to make a pmesh since we can only simulate 1 stock model at at time. i made a short video below.

https://fastechincorporated-my.sharepoint.com/:v:/g/personal/support_fastechinc_net/EVErO3urrgdEgrq9oMqDILkBQIZPo2c43cYSC82PQW0nGw?e=p8dlBQ

• Like 1

That seems simple enough. And it doesn't take much effort to delete and redo the pmesh for the stock models to update the pmesh solids. i imagine it could get quite cumbersome though if you have lots of parts on each face of your tombstone. but then you would only program one and transform toolpaths i suppose. Great video. Thanks for your time josh i appreciate it

• Like 1