Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

trak age 3 cnc

billet

Has anyone had any experience downloading .cam files via the rs-232 cable to a trak a.g.e.3? I keep getting a framing error on the machine control screen when ever I try to send a file there !! Bty,I have been sucessful at sending .dnc files.Thanks

No problem downloading files to the AGE3. If you are using the floppy, the files are saved as .cam.

If you are using RS-232 and getting a framing error, you probably have the wrong data bits, stop bits, parity, baud rate etc. Just set them in Mastercam consistent with the control.

I suggest sending a short file at very low baud (say, 1200) and then gradually increasing the baud until you get errors, then backing off again. If you are more than 50', the framing error may be to the baud being too fast.

Wow, can't beleive all the responses!!! Have no problem running a .cam file from floppies,just can't seem to send one over the wire.As far as what communications package we are using ,it is a system from Spectrum cnc technologies inc. called multi-dnc for windows nt. The particular machine I'm trying to send to, can only be slowed to 2400 baud,and I've already made sure all other settings such as stop bits,parity and so on are matched exactly.I should also mention that sometimes when I send even a dnc program,it doesn't always run the complete file,sometimes it sits there with the spindle running like it didn't reach the end of the program.Btw,thanks for the warm welcome,hope I can help someone else in the future!!

I used to use a Trak AGE 3 until about 2 years ago. I am referencing my TRAK manuals. If you are trying to load a .cam file over the wire, I believe the file size has to be small enough to be stored on the floppie. If not, then the file should be renamed to .dnc so it can be dripped.

I also see that there are separate settings for cam RS232 and DNC. CAM transfer is restricted to 4800 baud and DNC (service code 37) is selectable from 2400 to 19200. This may be the problem you are having. You can also from command prompt(dos world)type: MODE COM1:4800,e,7,1 and press. Then to bypass Spectrum typ:COPY COM1:FILENAME.cam

Make sure that "COM1" is set to the actual com port #used in above settings

The other problem I'm having is that when I drip feed a program,it won't allow me to do drilling of any kind. That is why I'm trying to send a .cam file,those type files will allow me to do any kind of drilling routine I want,at least from the floppy drive.I hope to be able to send drilling routines over the wire,and then store them in the control to be used repeatedly!!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I have downloaded a program to an MX3 before. As I recall there was nothing particularly difficult about it. It was a small proggie though.

Sorry, :shrug:

quote:

The other problem I'm having is that when I drip feed a program,it won't allow me to do drilling of any kind

That is one of the unfortunate "Features" of a Prototrak. I'm quoting from the manual:

quote:

However, the largest program that fits on a floppy disk is approximatly 50,000 events. Several limitations have been imposed, but they shoild not cause problems in most cases, i.e., no tool comping (G41, G42), no tool length offsets, G43, G44), and no canned cycles, (G81,etc.).

That explains why you can't drill in DNC mode. But it doesn't answere your original question about the framing error during communication. I would suggest Following Charles' advice in checking your comm parameters.

Try these settings as listed in the manual:

quote:

Baud rate: FIXED 4800 (for regular TRAK A.G.E. 2 and A.G.E. 3 mode). Selectable 2400/4800/9600/19200 (for DNC mode)

Stop bits: 1

Data Bits: 7

Parity: Even

Duplex: Full

HTH

-Keith

You will need to increase the "end-of-line delay" time. The Prototrak control is very slow. Without and extended end-of-line delay your computer begins sending the next line before the control is ready to receive it. This is especially true with newer faster computers. I would bet if you use Mastercam DOS mode communications and a .02 eol delay it will solve communication part of your problem... If you can add an eol delay to Multi-DNC, that will probably work as well.

Hope that helps,

Yahoooo !!! Finally got it to accept a drilling and milling program in .cam format !! Went back and finally understood that the baud rate for .cam files is preset at the machine and cannot be changed,found that I had baud set on com port of download comp. set at 2400,needed to be set to match machine at 4800 Voila. Now the remaining problem that I have is that the tool setting page on machine shows a tool number of 1780 after it is finished loading from the download computer,which I don't even have in my library of tools.Do I have to load a dummy program from a floppy with enough tool numbers in it so I can preset them before I send the program via the wire? Also,the machine never lets you know that the file is done being loaded,it just sits there as though it's still being sent.Only way I can tell it's done is to press the mode button and hope that it was done !! Can't thank you guys enough for the help you've already given me,hope that I can reciprocate someday soon.

Every thing seems to be working pretty well with the exception that the recieving control seems to be shutting down the rs-232 port before the end of my programs.I have read the online help menu that came with the spectrum software, and have tried different settings on the close port when there is a certain number of bytes to send setting,with no success. Maybe I just don't understand enough about how the whole thing works or maybe this is a common problem with the trak age software!!