Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Unable to output comments

Rob_Bish

Im altering a 5 axis post at the moment, and come across a small problem. I seem to be unable to output any comments other than 0.

Would be greatful for any assistance or ideas on whats going wrong or i've done wrong. comment$ is what im using.

Post Name : Generic Fanuc 5X Mill

had a *comment$ output 0. my mistake.

Think I have sorted it. I was using numbers in the comment box such as 11111. When using a letter with a number no problems comment comes out where i expected it, and when using just letters no problems. Dont understand why I cant use just numbers though.

This was a problem I also had. It took me a year to figure out that for any comment to post it had to also contain a letter or other symbol other than a number.

I finally had our re-seller change my post to accept numbers only.

He had a reason why it was like that. I expessed my dis-pleasure so he fixed it for me.

By default, when a comment string contains only numbers and optionally the symbols ”.”, “+” or “-“ it is automatically converted from the text string into a numeric value and placed in the commvar$ variable. When this happens, the scomm$ string is cleared (which is why nothing is output as a comment). This allows the post writer to use the numeric value contained in commvar$ if so desired.

Prior to X, if you did not want a numeric value but rather a string containing numbers, you had to convert the value in commvar back into a string and then output it (and this had to happen in the pcomment0 postblock).

In X, we have added the ability to disable the commvar mechanism by initializing commvar$ to -1.

commvar$ : -1 #Disable automatic conversion of numeric comments

The v9.1 Post Processor Reference Guide has an example of the logic you can use to capture the value and convert it the old way (do a search for commvar in the 119 Comments.pdf file).

• 6 years later...