Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fatal Error Occurred

Mr. Wizzard

Yeah, so days of trying to program some multiaxis surfacing toolpaths has really got me frustrated. There's no way i can afford 3rd party verification for this stuff. I can only rely on Mastercam. I've read the posts over the years and here's my question.

Will verify ever work for me when i need it to?

It works on the simple, easy money stuff, woo-hoo. I don't need it for the easy crap, i need it for the complex stuff.

Is this a lost cause and something that will just never work properly?

Can you narrow it down to a certain toolpath that is crashing on verify?

Have you tried verifying each toolpath seperately to see if it crashes?

Or could there be a setting somewhere on on your PC that doesn't like verify? (a setting that is non-mastercam related)

Your PC specs seem fine, although I would get more ram, perhaps you have a bad stick of ram??

Yeah, so days of trying to program some multiaxis surfacing toolpaths has really got me frustrated. There's no way i can afford 3rd party verification for this stuff. I can only rely on Mastercam. I've read the posts over the years and here's my question.

Will verify ever work for me when i need it to?

It works on the simple, easy money stuff, woo-hoo. I don't need it for the easy crap, i need it for the complex stuff.

Is this a lost cause and something that will just never work properly?

Use solid model with machine sim to check for collisions and gouges and use the old verify for autodif.

They working on it.

I will try the suggestions guys, thanks. I've been getting very frustrated using verify and compare to stl over the years. I can program a complex surfacing part in a relatively short amount of time and then spend the rest of the day just verifying to check for collisions or surface gouges in the finish. I just get very irritated with d!cking around with settings all day to get something to not crash.

one toolpath at a time, try smaller stepover, resave, higher tolerance, ram saver, close, restart computer, blah, blah, blah.....

I don't b!tch about mastercam much, but this is the most difficult thing for me to work with. I know many have had issues with certain aspects of mastercam over the years, cough, lathe, mill-turn, cough, and have just accepted failure to have these issues addressed.

The enhancements put into the toolpaths are powerful and useful, but if you can't check them to see when they're wrong, how useful are they?

The work-arounds for this bug the crap out of me. Here's an example of one toolpath:

Verify, use stl as stock from previous op and compare to finished stl.

Run verify, CRASH.

Loosen tolerances, run verify. Oh, great it worked! Now, compare to stl, CRASH, awesome!

Loosen tolerances more, run verify. Compare to stl. Oh, great it worked! Now save as stl for stock on next operation, CRASH, awesome!

Rub my ***** on the settings some more, run verify, compare to stl, save as stock for next op. It worked, yay, just looks like crap now and it only took a couple of hours to get it done after 10 minutes of programming!

Which autodiff are you using?

The old one or the new one in X5 that is coupled with the new machine sim?

I have not got the new autodiff to work at all yet.

I reread your posts and it looks like you are using the stl compare from the old versions.

I will have to admit I stopped using autodiff about version x. I found that collision check was far more effective and faster. Unfortunately X4 is the last version that has collision check. Chalk up another dumb downgrade in functionality.

In my work checking for excess stock is not as important as checking for collisions and gouges.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "autodiff".

I'm using the regular verify, haven't had time to get the machsim set up for my machine.

Autodiff is Vericuts term for stl compare in MC. At least that's how I am using the term,,,actually I think autodiff is the function name for the verify so I am probably using it incorrectly. But I meant stl compare.

If you are just verifying roughing paths there is no use for autodiff.

Just use the machine simulator. There is virtually no setup at all if you grab a sample file that has a machine similar to yours and delete all the toolpaths and geometry and merge your part in. If you can't find your machine pick one by pressing first button in machine sim function toolbar.

I use the old verify a little differently than you do.

I save the roughing path as stl then just use that to visually check that my next toolpath doesn't cut too much in certain areas. I don't even bother with the compare.

I'll see if i can get the time to set it up and run it through Machsim. Thanks for the tip.

I've been using what you call autodiff, by your description above.

I use it to do the stl compare for my semi-finishing paths to check for toolpath rotations that may gouge the finished surfaces.

in the same boat as mr wizzard, when trying to compare just crashes X5. X3 seems to handle it...

If you're running an Ati card or an "on-board" graphics accelerator, go into config, screen and disable hardware acceleration.

Shut down, restart MCAM

I have seen this a few times, people have it turned off in X3 and then install X5 and it doesn't get turned off again.

running an NVIDIA quadro? fx580

disabled hardware acceleration, but program goes into not responding

If you're running an Ati card or an "on-board" graphics accelerator, go into config, screen and disable hardware acceleration.

Shut down, restart MCAM

I have seen this a few times, people have it turned off in X3 and then install X5 and it doesn't get turned off again.

running an NVIDIA quadro? fx580

disabled hardware acceleration, but program goes into not responding

With a Quadro, you don't need to disable.

Have you updated your video driver recently? Might try that

on the Verify tolerance, what are you running?

I typically run .003 stl and .002 tool

That gets "most" things but certainly not all

typically .001

after about 15 minutes of not responding, it actually does work...

will look into updating driver for video if i don't find anything else

appreciate it

With a Quadro, you don't need to disable.

Have you updated your video driver recently? Might try that

on the Verify tolerance, what are you running?

I typically run .003 stl and .002 tool

That gets "most" things but certainly not all

typically .001

for square blocks with holes, those values will work, you get into surface machining and fugetaboutit

You'll have to loosen those tolerances.

I've been running the toolpaths thru one at a time as far as I can. Sometimes I get the "fatal error", but I can get out of it. Sometimes it just shuts down Mastercam. (plenty of saving being done now because of this)

I run as far as i can and then bump the tool and stl tolerance up .001 each. Then, run some more until it locks up again. :rolleyes: