Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

G-code circles q.

Making a circle

N170 G42 G1 X.32322 Y-.32322
N180 G2 X.5 Y-.25 I.17678 J-.17678
N190 X.75 Y-.5 J-.25
N200 X.5 Y-.75 I-.25
N210 X.25 Y-.5 J.25
N220 X.32322 Y-.32322 I.25

1. I am sure I got N170 and N180 good. Linear to (.32322,-.32322). Then CW circle working its way towards (.5,-.25) with the center of my circle@(+.5,-.5)

2. Now N190 moves to point (.75,-.5) right! but what does the J-.25 mean then with out the I and then the next line N200 becomes I-.25 and then N210 goes to J.25. I got the going to part down but the I and J in that sense is the radius or ??? I am just little confused on that.

I did some research and there is an i,j,k version and then a End Point and radius specified version<--I don't think I am using that so just what does then last part of N190,200,210 mean to me.

MasterCam is breaking the circle into quadrants, not the best way to make a circular pocket. there are some settings in the control def. you can change.

Yeah I was noticing that why multiple commands when the tool does not do anything else besides revolve 360?? Thanks for the heads up on that. I learned this code in college for a quick subject in one class that I barely remember. I don't mind going through line by line making sure what is coming out makes sense to me and then the machine its used on.

Yeah I was noticing that why multiple commands when the tool does not do anything else besides revolve 360?? Thanks for the heads up on that. I learned this code in college for a quick subject in one class that I barely remember. I don't mind going through line by line making sure what is coming out makes sense to me and then the machine its used on.

I did update my options and this only worked once. It has the same as above but still divides the circle up as of now.

Note: I am using wire mode

It worked this time. Weird.

I did update my options and this only worked once. It has the same as above but still divides the circle up as of now.

Note: I am using wire mode

It worked this time. Weird.

If you make a change it only last for that session. If you want it to stick then you will have to save your Control definition which will have to be saved through your machine definition.

What is the difference between quadrants and full circle?

I'm just curious and would like to hear another explanation. :)

I don't think all machines allow 360 degree arcs. I know that in 4 axis wire if I don't manually break the arc at 180 it wont post out correctly on the angle. That may have been fixed after X4 mu2 but I don't know if it has. I see no need to break it into quadrants for programming.

• 2 months later...

I'm wondering if the Kuraki's, Mazaks and HAAS allow for full 360 degree arcs, Our issue might be different, but i felt my question might be appropriate in this thread since it is about arcs.

We're having a dual issue:

#1: When one of the programmers at our company change the start point of an arc chain, the machine alarms out on all the machines we have when we need to comp out a hole. However, i've been taught to rotate the arc's starting point to where you want it to be and use that endpoint to start/stop on the chain. If there is a setting within the control file that is causing this to happen, maybe we can fix that, otherwise why is there a move start point on the chains?

#2: On machining full arcs, I've experimented an issue we've been having: The machines have been doing an extra loop after machining an arc, but that extra loop was controlled by the overlap. As an example, if there is no overlap, the cutter leads in and leads out like it should as back plotted in mastercam. With a .01 overlap, there is a linear motion on a 6" arc as an overlap. With a .02 Overlap, there is an extra loop for some odd reason once the cutter finishes machining the arc. With a .03 overlap, the cutter behaves like it should as seen in backplot. Heck, backplot shows no extra loop on all test runs, so i'm wondering if this is a control thing?

#1 Get the control definition dialed in all will go away.

#2 Yes control issue back to #1.

Best bet is to contact your reseller and they will be glad to assist you get it all worked out.

BTW welcome to the Forum.

Thx for the welcome.

We tried contacting the reseller, and we actually ended up causing them to scratch their heads and look at us as if we have a 2nd head growing somewhere.... was pretty much how things went.

Looks like i get to have some fun experimenting with the control files... wish me luck!