Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Operation Defaults

Rotary Ninja

Still using X8 Kevin, or is this an X9 issue? If X9, being a new install, do you have read/write privileges to the new folder?

After you make the changes to your .DEFAULTS-? file, the file should save upon exit. Check the date and time of the file after your edits and see what you get.

I still have X8. I don't have admin rights on my pc at work so I am at the mercy of the IT dept for updates.

Are you talking manually editing the defaults file? Because I have always done it inside Mastercam. It has saved my settings, because when I go to Settings>>Control Definition and click on Operation Defaults and I open a toolpath my settings are still there. But if I create a toolpath my default settings are not there. Clearance plane is turned off by default again. And it caused a crash today because I didn't catch it.

Also, in the operation defaults the toolpaths had names. Now the toolpaths are just labeled 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. Any ideas?

Thanks Thad

I edit my defaults through the toolpath manager (ops manager). In Machine Group Properties, click Files, then click the "!" next to the DEFAULTS file. Make your changes then exit. Now open up Windows Explorer and check the date/time of the file to see that it was updated. That's my method.

I admit, I haven't changed the DEFAULTS in a very long time (years?). I import toolpaths from my ops library so my toolpath defaults rarely even come into play.

No ideas on the numbered toolpaths you mentioned last.

Making changes through the control def/machine def can be tricky. If you're not careful, you'll only save the changes to the local copy (saved in that particular MC file) of the machine/control def. Using the method above, you make the changes to the global copy and should see the changes on all new MC files from there on out.

• Like 1

I am going out on a limb here and guessing your stupid IT Dept has the Public account locked so you can't make changes......

It's stupid because the Public account is "supposed" to be open for all users on a computer, so it's likely set to read only.....

If it is set to read only this may not work but what you can do....

Copy your Op defaults to your desktop

change the extension on your defaults from

Mill_inch.defaults-9

to

Mill_Inch.mcx-9

Open the copy on your desktop and set all of the settings that you want changed

Save your file

Then rename it back to 

Mill_Inch_defaults-9

Copy it back....

This, however,  is where you may run into trouble, it may not let you copy it back, if it doesn't you can yell at your IT dude/dudette and tell them they are friggin' morons that you NEED read/write access to the Public folders.

In all seriousness though, when any of you guys find yourselves in a predicament where you don't have access to read/write the public folder, you need to fight for yourselves, ask IT, tell them why. If that falls on deaf ears, go to your boss and/or his boss if necessary and explain that your extended time programming because you can't change settings is costing them $$$$.

The greater majority of the time they understand $$$$ and you'll get your change.

Are you trying to update a Mill or Lathe tooolpaths defaults.  The Mill toolpaths have a handy "disk" icon at the top of the dialog boxes that will save all of the current settings as the defaults for that toolpath.  There is also a reload from defaults button that should set all of the fields as saved for that toolpaths defaults.  If it is a lathe toolpath, the way you are working with it is the only way.