Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

In the post or in Mastercam ??

CAM-mando

Maday posted a question on rigid tapping which brought up another interesting question of a more fundamental nature. The question is whether to provide machine specific features in mastercam or in the post. In other words ... make the post somewhat universal or specific to a single machine.

Currently my thoughs are to have a post for each machine set up in such a way as to allow the programmer to program whenever possible without regard to the machine. Obviously this is not always possible especially when a machine has a capability vastly different than another such as an additional axis or a large travel.

For example if rigid tapping is programmed then the program is posted later for a machine that doesnt support rigid tapping, have the non-rigid tapping post evaluate the rigid tap cycle and convert it to a standard tap cycle by calculating the reduced feed rate etc. and outputting code appropriate for that machine without changing any of the operation parameters in mastercam.

So what is your philosophy on the general construction of post processors in a multi machine environment ? What are the pros and cons of the different approaches from your expperience ?

I am currently re-writing posts and would be interested in other users philosophy in this area.

I have different posts for each model of machine [we have 4 of these, 2 of those] that we have. Any differences between the actual machines [parameters, variable #s, etc] are tied to mi values that must be set in the first op depending on which exact machine the job is going to.

C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Currently my thoughs are to have a post for each machine set up in such a way as to allow the programmer to program whenever possible without regard to the machine.

I have a post for every machine. If I need to post to a different machine... I just regen that paths with the new post acive and let it rip.

Though our POS Cincinati's won't do helical interpolation without some crazy formula that has the pitch in it as well. The rest of the machines do helical os we have to be an the lookout for that but the other stuff gets taken care of on a regen.

JM2C

Im trying to get to as few posts as possible. with more options in the post for what machine. thats just me. we have 6 Mazaks with different controls but generally the same, 1 horz Niigata and 1 horz Mazak. both run the same fanuc code, so why have 2 posts for horz.or 6 posts for the verts? not to mention the 3 heids and the cinci and the mx2 and mx3s,

aaahhggg I need more Hard drive space banghead.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Roger,

Math is my toughest challenge in life next to getting first row field level tickets for an Angels Dodgers game. I'm horrible at it if you can believe that. eek.gifeek.gif

Got any pointers for the math illiterate?