Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Scallop Height

Müřlıń®

I was talking about adding a scallop adjustment to the Shallow section of Finish/Contour.

And also making Rough/Pocket have the Shallow use a scallop height as well as the other fields.

Roughing would be more effecient because this would produce a hybread-Scallop/Pocket toolpath as well as a Scallop/Contour.

Murlin teh idea.gif

When I compared Mastercam's Roughing paths to another CAD's, theirs roughed in about 1/3 of the time using the same stepover, f/s, and cutter.

It was because of the type of path they could get when they used a scallop height in there with the other parameters.

Couldn't Mastercam do the same thing and come up with a similiar hybred cutterpath that would remove stock as fast?

Murlin

I tend to agree with you Murlin.

I had a simular problem with an internal and external elliptical bowl shape that had a transition to a round hole. I wound up breaking up the path from a finish contour to a project blend to get rid of retracts. the problem with constant z level passes is when you run out of stock in one area the tool retracts and plunges, bad news when your trying to hold a 16 micro finish. I would like to see a keep tool down even if it has to recut some areas. project blend is close to that but some odd shapes causes problems

So what you are saying Mayday is that all those rapids is add up......

Hrmmmm didnt think it would be that much.....I will check out how much time I can trim off keeping the tool down somehow, thanks.. biggrin.gif

On the scallop height.....

Sometimes you are not wanting to get a super finish. Sometimes you only want to "get the stock out" as fast as possible and let the benchhands polish it in. So step you foot on the gas and keep it there....The 10k spindles are kool smile.gif

Just as long as the tool doesnt pull, a few cusps all over are fine. The large polishing pads that are used, knock those down flush in seconds while polishing the dies.

With an addition of scallop height, would allow you to finish the walls and the floors AND shallow-sloping-angled shelfs that would require you ro run a seperate Shallow toolpath on it.

I guess where it also needs to go is in Restmill for me.

Anyways, just wishful thinking smile.gif

Murlin