Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis help! Wanting to lock out an axis from moving

Silver3369

Hey everybody,

I apologize I am unable to give any pictures or anything of what I am working on.

To put it simply I have The inside of a bowl that I am trying to cut with a ball mill and I need a good finish through out the bowl. So I want to tilt my A axis and keep the tool stationary and let C rotate to cut my bowl.

i have gotten the geodesic tool path in triangular mesh to give me what I want, but when I post it out it has x and y movements. So how can I eliminate the movements that I shouldn’t need. Any help or a point in the direction of a better tool path would be greatly appreciated. 

thank you 

Unless I am misunderstanding greatly here.  As long as you have a dead simple pattern surface (centered on the c axis, probably spherical in this case), all you should need to do is use fixed angle to axis in the tool axis controls.  Set the tilt angle and the axis to "tilt" about.  If those don't work, use the maintain tilt checkbox, set conical limits, or possibly adjust your pattern surface.  May ways to skin this cat.

tilt.JPG

Now that I have read the post and possibly understood what is being asked....   I am guessing you have an issue with the pattern surface.  Try using parallel instead of geodesic.  Shouldn't make too much difference.  Also, make a simpler pattern surface if you can and see if it does what you want, then introduce new variables as needed to get the output you want.

• Like 1