Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc 6m

Bocho

Does anyone know if there is a feasable way to beef up a fanuc 6m controller so it can read larger amounts of code faster. The Leblond Makino it's leashed to is used to do 3-d for thermo forming molds. A program that should run in 24 hrs can take 2-3 times longer because of the read speed. The Greco link its tied to could be some of the problem but I think that even speeding up the link, it will bog down on only being able to consume the code so fast. I know I'm asking a lot, but you folks always seem to have SOME ideas. Thanks in advance. Tim Kozak

Tim,

I believe the Fanuc 6M & 6T became available during 1979 (predating the IBM PC based on the Intel 8088 microprocessor). The link that Stephen thoughtfully provided will help with extra memory, stored parameters, and solid communications only.

Since the control predates 1981, it is probably Motorola based or perhaps an Intel based 4004 microprocessor.

The time it takes to process code is what it takes and the only thing that really can be done is to retrofit with another control.

Perhaps the 3d surfacing type programs could be produced on a different machine because I don’t believe there is really any option available otherwise.

Regards, Jack

Thanks Steve.

Jack, This is our biggest machine, and moving to another, sometimes is not an option. It has run reliably, for the most part, but we would like to be able to boost the read speed to accomadate the 3-million+ lines kind of stuff. Small moves just slow the feed to an absolute crawl. Also,sometimes filtering just doesn't make it.

Thanks to both of you 4 input.

Regards, Tim

Does anyone know what the max baud rate on the 6m is.I was told it would do 9600 but if I set cimco to 9600 it wont transfer. I was told that to get 9600 you have to change on of the 500 series parameters in the control(i cant remember off hand witch one) to 10. When I checked the parameter it was already set to 10.

cheers.gif Noel

In a related note - I just had a call from Memmex (the link above) speaking to this topic. From the conversation - and a nominal cost - it looks like they can provide an accellerator board for the machine as you are asking.

Give them a call - I'm sure it would be worth that at a minimum.