Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Importing Solidworks 2020 File

xycnc

Our Shop just switched over to Solidworks 2020 and I downloaded Eviewer for 2020, But i still can't get it to open up the file in Mastercam. I've tried MC 2020 and MC2021. Could someone please maybe shed some light on what I am doing wrong? I got it going for now by converting it to a parasolid file, but wondering for the next one. Thank You.

2 minutes ago, JParis said:

I think 2020 can only open up to SW2019....I believe you'll need to install, if you haven't already, 2021

Caveat, I could be wrong

I did try MC2021 and had the same results.  On Mastercam screen it shows it trying but when it gets done there is nothing.  The Eviewer will open it up. Thank for replying and not saying you are wrong, Still could be true, I recall also that it seems like you need to use the newest Mastercam in previous years.  And guys on shop floor grumbling because they need to update Mastercam.

Yes that was the case.  Thank You very much!  It is nice just knowing what the issue is.  I talked to engineer and he was running SP2. Had him tell me a file that he drew up in Solidworks 2020 and I opened it up with no problem.  Once again thank you for everyone's time.

PS it did open up in both MC2020 and MC2021.

Until we come out with a fix for this (and no promises on "when", sorry) there are a couple workarounds  :

1) have the engineer go to System Options in SW and go to the 'Import' page and  turn off '3D Interconnect' BEFORE importing models. If that is turned off when the CAD file is imported into SW and then saved from there, then we should be able to bring it in without doing any of the above steps.

2) or ... add a feature of some kind to the imported body in SW. The problem exists only when saving an imported model (imported via 3D Interconnect) with no additional features on it.

3)  or ... (This one requires Admin privileges on your computer)  get a copy of the SW2020 SP2 SWDocumentMgr.DLL from the "C:\Program Files\Common Files\SOLIDWORKS Shared" folder on a computer with SW2020 SP2 or SP3 on it - and copy this to your computer. There's a Mastercam.com KnowledgeBase article here that explains how to register the SWDocumentMgr.DLL. When it describes where to find that .DLL, point towards wherever you copied it locally from the other computer.

Pete

Edited by Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc.