Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Wages in Southern California...

Paul McGarr

All you guys from Southern California,

I've been thinking (for years now) about moving out of New England to a place with a better climate. I hate the winter. I am wondering what the pay is like out there in general for a Mastercam Programmer. I would consider myself highly skilled with Mastercam. I've been using it for 11 years on a daily basis. I've worked primarily in mold making, and aerospace.

I know this is not an easy question to answer directly, but some comments alone would give me an idea.

Should I make a move?

Thanks,

Paul McGarr

Paul,

Wages run from $20 to $35 per hour. The killer is real estate prices. They are absolutly stunning.

An apartment in an OK neighborhood will run

$1500 to $2000 a month.

You want a good area with good schools you'll pay $2500-$3000.

A house in a good area will run $500-$700K. If you don't mind a long commute (45 minutes+ each way) you can buy a pretty nice house for $300-$400K.

The market is on fire right now. Houses I looked at 5 months ago in Ontario at $285K are selling for $350K now and they are 40 year old track houses in declining neighborhoods.

$20-$35 per hour might sound pretty good, but out here its just getting by.

People probably live better in the midwest on $15 /hour than people out here do on $30/hour.

Sombody told me a long time ago that more important than wages were the benefits and medical coverage that a prospective employer had to offer. Being in Canada, this is not a concern due to a one level medical system that ensures coverage to all since this is government sponsered.

He told me that people lose houses and businesses in the USA because some family member took very ill or was seriously hurt in an accident.

Not to paintbrush the whole affair, but is my question here more relevant than the importance of higher wages? - just curious.

Regards, Jack

Paul,

Wages in So. Cal. average about $20.00 an hour but it would depend were you live and how far your willing to drive. Wages in OC is normally higher but you'd spend anywere from 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours drive time on a 1 way commute. Forget about buying a house in OC, unless you have at least a couple mil lying around for a down payment. I have noticed that you can still buy a place up in Big Bear for around $150,000 to $250,000. Then you could come work here. Were presently hiring.

Henri

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

but is my question here more relevant than the importance of higher wages?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NO

I would say wages are important, but the benefits can be everybit as important when considering the whole package. For instance, I could easily get $10-$20k more in salary if I went to another company but the intangibles like challenge, benefits, vacation, 401k, flexibility, ability to do my job how I want to do it without having somebody breathe down my neck constantly, management support, 9 mile commute, etc... FAR outweigh that paltry $10-$20k. To get that measly $10-$20k I'd have to sacrifice 4-5 hours out of my day away from my wife and kids sitting in traffic day in day out, probably be subjected to mandatory saturdays too. Way not worth it, waaaaaaaaaay not worth it. At the end of my life I know for sure I won't be saying "I wish I would have spent more time working..".

Paul, the job market for GOOD people is almost always decent. Honestly though, I'd stay out of the San Diego area, and also stay out of the Bay Area (San Francisco). You can find a home out somewhat close to where I live for about $350k and up. Today gas is $2.19/gal. for the cheap stuff. The climate here is phenominal! If you have kids in sports, there IS NO BETTER PLACE IN THE USA for them to compete. The best of the best come from or Train in Southern California. Though Florida and some southern states come pretty close, it's still better here in SoCal. If you're serious, let me know and I 'll put you in touch with my "head hunter" and you can go from there.

HTH