Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Rolled/Wrapped Wire - Extrude

khass0410

Hi all, thanks for the help in advanced.

I've rolled some flat wireframe geometry around a cylinder. I'm now trying to figure out how to extrude/cut the wireframe through the cylinder. Considering its not flat I can't just extrude. Is there an easy way of doing this? Only thing I can think of is to create lines to the center of the cylinder, find the angle and extrude cut at that angle. In the attached pic you'll see my solid and wrapped wire. Thanks again.

2021-07-14_13-46-50.jpg

16 minutes ago, Ocean Lacky™ said:

Project your wireframe to a flat plane and extrude

I’m not sure that projecting it flat will give me the results I’m looking for. I need that hook to be on the angle that it lie’s around the cylinder…… not sure I worded that correctly. I’ll project and cut it again just to make sure.

on the model prep tab choose Split Solid face, then window select all that wireframe geo. then just use model prep push pull to pull the face down.

also if that fails for any reason its easy enough to extrude that shape straight, like project it flat then do a straight extrude and make sure extrude is set to Create Body, then Trim that solid "slug" that you just made to the curvature you want the pocket to be, so just so a solid extrude on a circle, then just Boolean remove away the slug from the main body. the middle Solid in the example shows the completed part and the far right solid is the slug i made to make it work, the far left example has no history so you cant see much on the first solid but it was done completely with model prep tools

example.emcam

or just check out the pics below and you wont even need to look at that part file, as you can see if you can create that simple slug then you can create that cavity using Boolean. 

img-1.png

Note: the solid was Translated outwards for the images, but in reality it was created in position, the large circle drawn concentric 

also, extrude the slug with a taper angle if you would like tapered walls in the pocket, or may need to use the draft face function and draft specific faces, but either way its much easier to think of it in reverse like this since we can remove solids from each other.

img-2.png

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, JoshC said:

on the model prep tab choose Split Solid face, then window select all that wireframe geo. then just use model prep push pull to pull the face down.

example.emcam

JoshC, thats pretty much what I wanted. That's a great tool that I've never used before. I could not open your example file because of the education only, Thanks again.

Just saw the pictures, appreciate the time you took to show me a couple different ways. What I originally ended up doing was creating a surface with draft turning the surface into a solid and boolean/remove the solid from the part.

• Like 2