Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How to model these ridges

Tinger

OK so.....

I have this tool path that creates a nice pattern on a part. (see verify photo).

My question is how do I model those ridges into the actual part model.

In the last photo I have saved the toolpath and tool geometry, but I can't figure out how to sweep the tool model along the toolpath chain to cut the stock model. 

What's the right way to go about this?

I have attached the file.

Toolpath.thumb.jpg.d0c803bf3a171c1a6e02f8bd0bf80731.jpg

Verify.thumb.jpg.fed81de65f83dc954ae7a23639abf1dc.jpg

Image.thumb.jpg.e1166121dab664cb280c6ade39539a51.jpg

Ridges.ZIP

1 minute ago, Tinger said:

OK so.....

I have this tool path that creates a nice pattern on a part. (see verify photo).

My question is how do I model those ridges into the actual part model.

In the last photo I have saved the toolpath and tool geometry, but I can't figure out how to sweep the tool model along the toolpath chain to cut the stock model. 

What's the right way to go about this?

I have attached the file.

Toolpath.thumb.jpg.d0c803bf3a171c1a6e02f8bd0bf80731.jpg

Verify.thumb.jpg.fed81de65f83dc954ae7a23639abf1dc.jpg

Image.thumb.jpg.e1166121dab664cb280c6ade39539a51.jpg

Ridges.ZIP

Save Toolpath to a Level. Then make a plane normal to one of them at the end. Then make an arc to sweep through that if you want it exactly like the toolpath. If you want to do it free style ten just draw an arc from front/back/left/right that you want the the other arc to sweep through then go the 90 degree view of that and then sweep it. Could model it faster than what I just typed.

I tried the plane normal to the toolpath at one end, but it only works if I was using a ball endmill. The tool I'm using is Ø.500 bull em with a .125 radius so the only way to get an accurate cut would be to drag the modeled tool body through the stock model while it is always normal to the Z axis.

Not sure if that makes sense... 

Below would work if you were using a Ball endmill. Using a Bull endmill will be the next response. Have to do it from the inside out not the outside end like you can with a ball endmill.

Okay convert your level 4 to an arc like so:

Then make plane normal to the end of the arc like so:

it will appear at the center. If you want to edit it and have it be at the end your choice.

Now drawn and circle the diameter of the endmill at the center of that and then shift up the radius.

Then use Solid Sweep to sweep that and use cut in the options.

Then solid circular pattern to get it around the number of times you want.

Now you have the shape cut into the part using a ball endmill. Transform rotate the solid and then do a boolean remove to create the shape.

Edited by crazy^millman
Pictures removed to add space
  • Like 1

Go the right view and make the bull wireframe on center. Use the new arc fit the toolpath geometry and sweep it. Then rotate the solid the number of times you want to repeat then boolean remove and good to go.

14 minutes ago, Tinger said:

How did you create an arc from the toolpath wireframe? I think you posted a different picture.

I was just using what you got and make and arc from it. Make a new level and then use to create arc 3 point using the geometry you got from the toolpath. You can try filtering the toolpath and use the max arc settings and see if that will make the arc and allow you to save it to a level, but what you had using the method I have shown will work also. I tried several different filter settings and none gave me an arc and to make a nice looking model I would use an arc for the sweep verses the lines backplot is giving me. Maybe someone else has a secret handshake method when refit spline or simply spline, but using the 3 Point arc always work so I go with what I know works verses trying to reinvent the wheel.

• Like 2

Hold up I am completely wrong here. I can make some really cool thing doing what I showed you, but it will not be exactly like what you got with a toolpath. I didn't think about the spun shape through the arc just thought about the swept shape and they are two completely different animals. I could take the saved STL from verify and reverse that into a solid using Verisurf Reverse with some work. Maybe the new STL features in 2022 will allow you to come up with a way to create the geometry needed, but exactly like the toolpath that is going to take some more thinking. 🤔

2 minutes ago, Tinger said:

Yeah, a ball vs bull em is a whole new ball game. Thats why I wish the sweep model function would allow you to sweep a model body rather than just a 2D chain.

Then I would sweep the body of the endmill along the toolpath, cutting into the model.

Well the work is coming up with the correct ratio of entities along that sweep to create the cut shape. I can do that with surfaces and then use the surface to maybe use as a trim to entity, but like I said requires some thinking and experimenting to see what works the best. Hopefully someone much smarter than me has a simple trick to do this.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Tinger said:

That looks pretty good! Can you send the zip2go?

Here is a link to the 2022 file. Sorry much better modeling processes in it than previous versions. You can open in 2022 HLE if you don't have 2022 or can't get it. Level 11 is the process to make the surface to come up with a boolean remove process or trim to surface. Might even turn the surface into a sheet solid and then thicken, but that is a work in progress. I will update the file once I have sorted it out in my head. What I did to create the model above is on level 10.

Level 11 is how I use to make my stock models years ago out of solids. I might spend 40-50 hours doing this process to have solids of the progressive models to work from before we got stock models. One project I cut 3000 hours a year out of the production time just eliminating air cuts that had been present for 10 years prior to me reprogramming it. I told the own that one part paid my salary for the next 10 years he was not amused.

Link to Dropbox File

• Like 2