Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Too Much Code - How Do I Control This?

Bill H

I have a 2D Dynamic Mill toolpath that's used to reduce the size of a rectangular piece of stock.  There are multiple sequences in the G-code that consist of hundred-plus successive lines of single-axis moves.  For example:  there are 223 lines of code to move the tool from X0.0241 to X5.3848, with no Y or Z moves!  Obviously this makes for unnecessarily long programs.  How do you control this?

13 minutes ago, Bill H said:

I have a 2D Dynamic Mill toolpath that's used to reduce the size of a rectangular piece of stock.  There are multiple sequences in the G-code that consist of hundred-plus successive lines of single-axis moves.  For example:  there are 223 lines of code to move the tool from X0.0241 to X5.3848, with no Y or Z moves!  Obviously this makes for unnecessarily long programs.  How do you control this?

Turn on Arc filters

Pretty sure the guy making the video has a hangover, but the info is there. 🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Bill H said:

JB7280: Can you explain, please?

just what savagkd was saying.  Turn on line/arc filter settings, set your total tolerance for less than the amount of stock you're leaving.  Then you can play with the slider to see how it changes things.  I generally keep it at 50/50.   Make sure your minimum arc is low enough too, otherwise I believe it will try to output small arcs as line segments instead of arcs.

2 minutes ago, savagkd said:

Just did a quick toolpath. 2500 lines of code, turned on Line/Arc filter and got 1500 lines.

When I first started using Mastercam, my programs were MASSIVE, and I had no idea why. 

I've had toolpaths reduced to like a tenth of the size they were just by playing with the arc filters.  

• Like 1