Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

REST MILL

I have a part that has been challenging me with my programming skills from start to finish. I am almost complete with the program and looking for any advice on finishing/continuing the inside .062 rads down the corner of this "ramp". I finish the majority of the ramp surface with a .375 ball end mill using a scallop tool path. I will have to finish with a long-reach reduced shank (1.5") .125 ball end mill. I have played with a few toolpaths but am not getting results I am happy with. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

PS. the ramps have no finish call out, will not be exposed to the end customer, and provide a pathway for air flow only. Our customer is more concerned with reduced cycle time and cost per part when it comes to these features. 

RAMP PREFINISH.png

RAMP PREFINISH2.png

29 minutes ago, Pgreenlaw said:

I have a part that has been challenging me with my programming skills from start to finish. I am almost complete with the program and looking for any advice on finishing/continuing the inside .062 rads down the corner of this "ramp". I finish the majority of the ramp surface with a .375 ball end mill using a scallop tool path. I will have to finish with a long-reach reduced shank (1.5") .125 ball end mill. I have played with a few toolpaths but am not getting results I am happy with. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

PS. the ramps have no finish call out, will not be exposed to the end customer, and provide a pathway for air flow only. Our customer is more concerned with reduced cycle time and cost per part when it comes to these features. 

RAMP PREFINISH.png

RAMP PREFINISH2.png

Ask them for a bigger radius to reduce the run time. Trust me air don't care if that is a .187R over the .0625R. That alone would save them a lot of time if they aren't so picky and want cost reductions. Make in manufactureable if not shut up and be happy you got what you got.

Blend with the 2 outside edges to drive the toolpath. That will create a nice flow path for the air and they will like the cosmetics of that toolpath in that shape. I have pointed arrows to the one edge we can see have to assume a mirror of this edge on the other side.

Edited by crazy^millman
Pictures removed to add space
  • Like 2
17 minutes ago, Seedy steve said:

there is a path called finish leftover hiding away.

u can use use comand finder on home strip to get it out.

I was able to find it by right-clicking. Thank you very much, sir. I have never even seen or heard of that toolpath but it worked perfectly for what I am wanting to do. Thanks again for learnin' me sumthin' new:)

RAMP PREFINISH3.png

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Misunderstood I was thinking you wanted to machine the whole shape with the 1/8 ball endmill. Yes Steve pointed you in a good direction to remove the left over stock.

We have worked with this customer on changing/tweaking features before... last time I did that I had about a 1.5 week delay while they updated the solid on their end and created a new rev so there were no issues at incoming inspection. Machine sat too long waiting on customer approval/updates, jobs behind that had to get pushed back, etc.  I am taking this opportunity to avoid the delays on their end with a new rev and trying to gain some programming experience at the same time:) Thank you for taking the time to reply, all feedback is greatly appreciated on these forums.