Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Commercially pure titanium grade 2 cutting

Been a long time since I cut it I think it is more gummy than 6 series. I remember can be hardened 10 Series and was gummy before it was heat treated, but I would treat just like anything I am not sure of. Rough/Rough checked for movement, Semi Finish/Semi Finish and Check check for movement, finish big check for movement then finish/finish. Don't use Aluminum for fixturing and support it and dampen it where needed.

Just no bid a project someone thought was a 30 minute Ti part. They quoted the job and got it, but now are losing on it and then decided to seek help trying to make it. I don't care if someone is supplying Material if it is a 3 hour part no matter what you throw at it it is a 3 hour part no amount of think and hoping is ever going to beat the laws of Physics. Funny to 3D print the part would be $40k and they cannot hold the tolerances they want the part made too, but think it is a $45 part to machine it.

• Like 2

Grade 2 is very gummy.  I have only ever seen it in a turning application and it was more difficult to break chips than 6al4v.  IIRC, nearly dead sharp inserts for aluminum with high positive chip breakers worked best.  For milling I would say tools that are sharp and sharper will probably be best.  Like all S type materials, I'd say make sure to give it some chip load and you will be fine.  Other than that I have no more value to offer.

• Like 3