Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Probes for OMM/Mi12, and high speed skip for Fanuc

Sort of drinking from a fire hose here.  Long story short, we don't use probes in machines right now.  However, we have an older machine that came outfitted with an OMM/Mi12, but no probe.  Very confident previous owner was using it.  Not on the machine for show.  I I took a crash dive into macros and probes.  I still cannot get a clear answer which probes are optimal to own, and I am sure we will buy used, with no rush on this.  Someone mentioned the newer heads use strain gages that are delicate, so older probes are probably preferred anyway.  Recommendation was the MP10.  I have a tiny book showing a few of the heads and looks like the main difference is the way they turn on/off?  

As well, the control in question is a 16MB, and I have read that having 'high speed skip' would be a really good idea.  Would anyone have information on what parameters to check to see if this is turned on, or if that is more than just a parameter set?  I am told the main difference here is just how fast you can go and still get an accurate measurement.  

As well, I got nothing but crickets from Renishaw regarding the add-on with MC.  I am not sure what revision of MC that even became a thing?  But I saw a couple videos that seem to be able to do arguments and variables right in MC.  Not sure how that works.  Really not interested in paying for it if our older machine cannot benefit.  One thing I am questioning on the programming side is if it is even beneficial to have all the probing data in the main program?  Is all the macro work easier to manage in a subprogram maybe?  I am just wondering if the MC probing is really the right path forward?  

If your just probing holes and faces for work offsets you can do it thru the extra drill cycles.

When I measure a surface I put the measurement macro in-between the cycles with a manual entry.

If you can decipher the yellow book it may give you the parameter to check.

If you're not using Productivity + software from Renishaw, don't even worry about the MC add-in...

I was recently going to test drive it as I am writing more and more probing routines. As we only use the Inpection software that comes with the controls and not the Productivity+ I never even bothered activating my 30 day license for it.

As noted above, if you're just picking up and origin or simple size checks, those can be edited into a post

"Optimal" is a relative term. 

Here's a Renishaw document highlighting the probe types.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s0d1hof9urwbele/probing_systems_for_cnc_machine_tools_technical_specifications.pdf?dl=0 

High Speed Skip is indeed reccommended. 

Probing is a relatively simple process. You turn the probe on, position it in protected mode (probe stops if tip contracts something), run the desired cycle (bore, boss, single surface, etc...). Position again away from the part, turn the probe off. That is basic process.