Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

grouping or combining toolpaths

Doug Funny

10 minutes ago, Doug Funny said:

I modeled the appropriate chamfers and used a Chamfer Drill operation. The only downside is that Chamfer Drill long codes everything out instead of using canned cycles. Most of the machinist here are a bunch of old curmudgeons. If the see programs like this, I'll never hear the end of it.  Is there a way to get Chamfer Drill to output a canned cycle?

No, chamfer drill cannot produce a canned cycle.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
36 minutes ago, Chally72 said:

Just a note that Zero is a valid size for chamfers in Chamfer Drill, so you don't have to use Ron's method to get the physical chamfers you want. Different chamfer on each hole? Model them all in. Same chamfer on different holes? You don't have to model them in to get what you need.

Chamfer drill was designed for these scenarios- to allow a single op to tag all sorts of different modeled chamfers, or to allow you to specify a chamfer size if the chamfers weren't modeled in. The spotting method is kind of a hijacking of it since you aren't technically producing a Chamfer, but I use it all the time to condense my spotting operations when I don't have to get too picky with spot size across a range of diameters.

Does Chamfer Drill  do a good job on irregular surfaces and other features that holes are made to? My method works even on 3D chamfers with no issue.

12 minutes ago, Doug Funny said:

I modeled the appropriate chamfers and used a Chamfer Drill operation. The only downside is that Chamfer Drill long codes everything out instead of using canned cycles. Most of the machinist here are a bunch of old curmudgeons. If the see programs like this, I'll never hear the end of it.  Is there a way to get Chamfer Drill to output a canned cycle?

I have one word for them WHAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Haha 3
17 minutes ago, crazy^millman said:

Does Chamfer Drill  do a good job on irregular surfaces and other features that holes are made to? My method works even on 3D chamfers with no issue.

I have one word for them WHAAAAAAAAAAAA

It's one in particular and he's retiring in 9 months. Him and the GM are friends so, if I do something he doesn't like, I hear about it...

I would be fine with it personally

• Sad 1

Here's one on Advanced Drill:

https://youtu.be/TgHTs6Ol3W8

And here's the part file used in the video:

https://community.mastercam.com/TechExchange/Parts/782#partTitle

Also, we made a nice video on Chamfer Drill which I completely forgot about. 2020 was so long ago....

https://youtu.be/akWH7szYdAM

And here's another one using chamfer drill in a mass hole scenario:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRx6T4CaFV8

Because Advanced Drill and Chamfer Drill are not cycle-based, they have the advantage of extremely reliable, dirt-simple output that will perform the same on basically any machine with any post. This does make them less "readable" at the control, or less accepting of hand edits, but these paths do things that cycle based output simply cannot do.

And yes Ron, if you have an uneven breakthrough and have to actually contour chamfer rather than spot chamfer, you have to fall back to exactly what you mentioned. 

Breakthrough treatments are a future area of opportunity to offer easier/more intuitive path creation options...

• Thanks 1
  • Like 2