Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

OT - need machining data for 2714

Diedesigner

Hi all,

We are machining some 2714 steel; drilling, slotting, and t-slotting. It

seems to be a somewhat tough material to machine. Can any one recommend sfm

and feed per tooth for hss drills, and also Ingersoll high-positive inserted

end mills or an equivalent? Our inserts are ticn coated. I've done some research, but so far can't find any substantial machining recommendations.

Regards,

Chris

Well then not to sound like a a$$hole will need ot do the trai land error method. I would always first play with surface speed keeping my chip load per tooth constant. I would then find what I felt like was a good SFm then I would play with tooth load to keep my surface finish accpetable. I would also plly with no coolant and coolant to see what gives the best results and once you have a good combintaion for that tool do the same for all the others. Tough usally means lower sfm and more feed to get the best results and sometimes also dry for roughing and air for chip clean out.

HTH

From the looks of this, maybe try machining it like A2 or D2.

Another site said this:

quote:

Machinability: In the annealed condition, ExELL

2714 exhibits a machinability rating of 80%

compared to a 1% carbon tool steel. This rating

shows the material is easier to machine than

AISI H-13.

And here is some more technical info that may point you in the right direction.

Thad

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I had a guy on another forum who emailed a .pdf document from Uddeholm containing the info I was looking for.

For those of you who may be interested, for soft annealed 2714 max. 250HB they recommend a sfm of 525 to 722 for carbide indexable end milling, and sfm of 53 for hss drilling.

For pre-hardened 2714 to 380HB, the sfm numbers drop to: 164 to 295 for indexable, and 33 for hss drilling.