Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

o/T mfg Quote

Chris Rizzo

A lot of people seem to use mfgquote for quoting purposes rather than actually outsourcing. I've used it myself for that purpose.

Mfgquote charges its vendors thousands of dollars for the pleasure of quoting jobs which they will never get. To be a vendor, is to waste money. And the moderators of that site don't seem to care. They must think it looks more impressive to have a lot of things to quote rather than a few items which its vendors actually have a chance of making.

On the other-hand, the Thomas Register seems to have an opposite approach. They seem to allow their subscribers to place themselves in categories which they are not qualified for. It is really

I stay away from all of them. They are too dishonest for me. I think you may have your best luck by placing your file on the FTP and let some experienced MC users have a look. If someone here can't help you, no one can.

Thx Surface,

Some good ideas. I've had similar experiences with the Thomas Reg.! mad.gif

As for RFQ's up on the forum, it makes great sense utilizing our good community relations and connectivity, but I'm not sure of the "ethics" of using the forum and/or FTP for RFQ's....?????

Webby?

Also, that might be an intersting possiblilty for the forum to grow into, sharing work, bids, etc..

After two years (in some things, I am a slow learner) of using MfgQuote, I am discontinuing the service. I have quoted myriad jobs, just to lose them to a shop who apparently is running at >$25 an hour. I have even seen jobs placed at what the materials should cost. I have seen MANY jobs withdrawn at the last moment and even more that are never placed (at least not through MfgQuote). I have done substantially better at quoting local work and doing cold calls than I have ever done with the service.

I have also had folks come back 3-6 months later to try to get me to take the job because the lowest 1-2-3 bidders couldn't deliver (at $25/hour shop rate - DUHHHH!!).

I would love to take a swing at your part....it won't be at $25/hour though.... biggrin.gif

In all fairness, I should also state that MfgQuote DOES deliver exactly what they say they will deliver to a supplier. A constant stream of work to be quoted. They make no guarantees (and indeed they can't) that you will get work. I am am just disappointed in the "low bidder wins all" mentality of some of the buyers - low price means nothing without quality.

quote:

You get what you pay for!

In this case, I am not sure that get really get what you pay for, it costs a supplier a not insubstantial chunk of change. I would like to have seen more statistics on the awarded bids - like what it was awarded for. You only get to see the average bid.....not the awarded price.

I was typically at or just below the average price.

Wait - maybe I am reading your comment wrong - maybe it is the buyer that is getting what they paid for - cheap, late, and bad......

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Caveat Emptor (SP?)!!!

Unfortunately in this day and age of "microwave mentality", very few people look long range anymore. It's more about next week, next month , next quarter, instead of next year, 5 years, 10 years. Just sad. I realize we as companies need to be "agile" but not at the expense of planning for the future.

JM2C

Thx for the input fellas....I'm certainly not going to be bargain-hunting for our parts...QUALITY, cosmetic finish, and a willing shop are more important than price. I was thinking the MFG quote would be a good and easy way to reach shops adept at reading Mcam/Solidworks files...however the forum could be even better!

If anyone wants to take a look at the part, drop me an e-mail....thx.