Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Finding Geometry Used by an Operation

Jobnt

18 minutes ago, CEMENTHEAD said:

why? (facepalm) I tell my guys all the time "only keep what you need for that operation". there is no reason to have tooling, geometry, clamps, models from previous operations in a file. I totally select all geom used in toolpaths plus models, invert selection - delete and save. BooM nice small file and anyone can step into it and see what's going on. Yes we have a separate mastercam file for every operation. 

("cementhead", how fitting)

Not everyone makes simple square parts with a hole in it. (facepalm)

Not everyone only has their part in their MC file, others have entire setups (vises, fixtures, multiple axis, etc etc) in their MC file. (double facepalm)

Not everyone runs only one operation in their MC file. (triple facepalm)

I could go on, but you get my point, right? RIGHT?

Not everyone has the same requirements for their job.

Thanks for jumping in, though.

Really.

Thanks. 

4 minutes ago, austin noah said:

If you open the chain manager for an operation it will display the chain even if the level is invisible. if you do analyze entity and click on part of the chain it will show you what level it is on. if it is a hidden level it will display the level as a negative number.

Oh, man... that's beautiful!!

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
51 minutes ago, austin noah said:

If you open the chain manager for an operation it will display the chain even if the level is invisible. if you do analyze entity and click on part of the chain it will show you what level it is on. if it is a hidden level it will display the level as a negative number.

Well that's going to be a huge time saver. Thank you!

1 hour ago, #Rekd™ said:

Possibly a new function could be added for your request.  The method with X through it allows you to modify the geometry and attributes, this is quite handy!

Yes - I'm suggesting keep the existing way untouched, but in the vacant space of the chain manager, the level of the chain could always be shown.

So for OP's request - the data is there and no more clicks need to happen.

I should have been a bit more clear but wifey shouted "grub's up" :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Yes - I'm suggesting keep the existing way untouched, but in the vacant space of the chain manager, the level of the chain could always be shown.

So for OP's request - the data is there and no more clicks need to happen.

I should have been a bit more clear but wifey shouted "grub's up" :lol:

I love the idea. But how would you handle a situation where different wireframe entities in the chain are on separate levels? This seems like really bad practice but it can happen. I suppose just showing the level of the first entity in the chain would work, unless others have a better idea? 

5 minutes ago, Jake L said:

I love the idea. But how would you handle a situation where different wireframe entities in the chain are on separate levels? This seems like really bad practice but it can happen. I suppose just showing the level of the first entity in the chain would work, unless others have a better idea? 

Jakey - you're new here. Don't overthink this too much....

I had plenty of enhancement requests that were "looking to be implemented" back in the X5/X7 days, and only a couple made it.

Since then, adding clicks has been the goal - not reducing them!

4 minutes ago, Newbeeee™ said:

Jakey - you're new here. Don't overthink this too much....

I had plenty of enhancement requests that were "looking to be implemented" back in the X5/X7 days, and only a couple made it.

Since then, adding clicks has been the goal - not reducing them!

Aye aye captain

Don't put too much time or thought into enhancement requests because chances are the request will get lost somewhere along the way. Sound about right?

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

So back to this hidden geometry topic.

I have a OD threadmill operation that's doing 2 Z passes, one above the top of the part and the other at the bottom where it's supposed to be.

Geometry only shows 1 entity and when I click the geometry icon it shows a point in the graphics screen but the dialog says it's an arc.

Either way I don't know what level that point (or arc?) is in. Right clicking and selecting Analyze Entity does not recognize the point.

Our files often have hundreds of levels and tens of thousands of entities. Is there a way to find what level the point is in without going through each level one by one? 

image.thumb.png.9422e897f3555cbc7b0f9503dbc77344.png

image.thumb.png.12880eb74101603f4b75dba2e27283e2.png

• 5 months later...