Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

HASP not found - resurrecting old PC

HeathS

Hi, hoping someone can help with yet another HASP not found problem.

I have a hard drive I've put in a new computer and have an issue with MasterCAM v9 not seeing the HASP.

If I run HASPX (2023) which I downloaded today it sees the dongle, but the version of HASP (v9) installed on the PC originally it says "HASP not found", MasterCAM itself also can't find the HASP.

I tried installing 'HASP drivers for Mastercam X and older - 09/09/2007' but in that case neither versions of HASP would see the dongle, I had to re-run 'HASP Setup' that was installed on the PC originally to at least get HASPX to see the dongle again, but that doesn't help me run Mastercam.

Please, can anyone help or provide any suggestions on what to try next?

This is not going to happen on a Win 10 machine.

Your options are to convert your hasp to a nethasp, or build a Win2000 or a WinXP machine.

V9 will run on Win10 with a net hasp license, but I don't think MC will

let you convert a single hasp into a net hasp license.

@gcode - thank you very much for your reply I appreciate it.

I continued scouring this forum after posting my thread and followed a few hopeful leads to no avail. The fact that HASPX sees the dongle, but HASP9 doesn't also consumed some of the many, many hours I spent trying yesterday. 

I am going to guess something about the way Windows 10 (and probably 7 & 8 ) gives access to hardware a bit like the serial comms change around the time of Windows XP. Obviously fixed in HASPX, but not back ported - understandable for 20 year old software.

I'll look at Win2000 or WinXP or abandon the project.

Thanks once again!

13 hours ago, HeathS said:

@gcode - thank you very much for your reply I appreciate it.

I continued scouring this forum after posting my thread and followed a few hopeful leads to no avail. The fact that HASPX sees the dongle, but HASP9 doesn't also consumed some of the many, many hours I spent trying yesterday. 

I am going to guess something about the way Windows 10 (and probably 7 & 8 ) gives access to hardware a bit like the serial comms change around the time of Windows XP. Obviously fixed in HASPX, but not back ported - understandable for 20 year old software.

I'll look at Win2000 or WinXP or abandon the project.

Thanks once again!

If you do go down the win2k or winxp route make damn sure it's not connected to the internet.  If you do connect it to the internet expect it to be compromised fairly quickly.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Johnward Holmeson said:

If you do go down the win2k or winxp route make damn sure it's not connected to the internet.  If you do connect it to the internet expect it to be compromised fairly quickly.

This guy ^^^ He gets it. 

The XP machine running v9 at my house hasn't seen the light of internet in close to two decades.

8 hours ago, Jobnt said:

This guy ^^^ He gets it. 

The XP machine running v9 at my house hasn't seen the light of internet in close to two decades.

Yep duly noted thanks! I wouldn't really even think about putting an XP machine online at home (I too have an offline XP box at home for a couple of useful things). Let alone a workplace! Good advice to all.

• Like 1
On 5/17/2023 at 7:50 AM, Johnward Holmeson said:

very good advice