Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I need a video card

Yannick

First of all - no guarantees on any advice here. Secondly, OpenGL support and stable drivers are a must.

Our own IT king recommends something based on the NVIDIA GeForce graphics processor (brand names are Elsa - www.elsa.com, Creative Labs - www.3dblaster.com, etc.) These offer the best price/performance ratio for use with Mastercam. Drivers directly from NVIDIA have only just stabilized for Win2000.

For more money, the NVIDIA Quadro processors seem to be aimed at the CAD/CAM market.

The Oxygen card from 3Dlabs - www.3dlabs.com - provide another higher end solution. Look to the GVX1 family.

[This message has been edited by Dave Thomson (edited 06-01-2001).]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Ditto to Dave's "No Guarantees". BUT I like and use the Matrox Millenium G450 . It works really well with NT and Windows 2000 and stability is great. I would not reccommend it for use with Windows 9x though. The last time we tried it performance was just ok. The Creative Labs Cards seem to work well with Windows 9x.

JMHO.

------------------

James M. ;)

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Jay,

That would be affirmative. Matrox Millenium G450 = $150 USD and I am running Windows 2000 Professional SP2 and I'm very pleased with it. It took a few months to get used to it but now, I'd never go back to NT.

------------------

James M. ;)

James,

Do you do much work with the lathe module??

I was running a G450/Win2K machine with a Dell flat screen monitor.

The mill module ran great, but regen in the lathe module was VERY slow. I had to turn hardware acceleration completly off to get the lathe module to run to run.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I noticed that when I had "Enable Open GL Drawing" active in the Config that it ran a lot slower, but that was in Mill and Lathe. If I have it disabled it ran signifigantly faster. My hardware acceleration if Full Throttle. The screen resolution is at 1280 x 1024 with High Color(16 Bit) all this is at 70Hx refrresh rate.

BTW I run a Dell Dimension 4100

Intel PIII 800

512 MB Ram (PC133)

Matrox Millenium G450 (32 MB) Video

SCSI Wide Ultra 2 (80MB) HDD

52x CD-R

32xR-4xW-2x-RW Burner

Zip 100

yadda, yadda, yadda!

Trinitron 19" Flatscreen Monitor (Man this thing is heavy)

------------------

James M. ;)

Well yeasterday i ordered one of the Oxygen VX1 agp4x cards they are under 200 bones.

should receive it about a day or so.

thiese are suppose to be good graphics cards even at that price.

when i have it up and going will give my thought on it for those are asking about decent cards.

these are suppose to be used for Cad/Cam/Cae systems.

------------------

jay/ aka cadcam

Precision Programming

cnc programming &

Predator reseller

email: [email protected]

web: www.ppcadcam.com

Mastercam forum FTP free file support

ftp://www.ppcadcam.com

User: mastercam

Pass: forum

Nvidia GeForce3 64Mb, 512Mb DDR ram, Athlon 1.33GHz, Windows 2000, EIDE HD with no problems so far. Excellent Performance.

Also using P3-933, 32Mb GeForce2 ,256Mb PC133 , EIDE HD , Win98. no probs. Performance Adequate.

Oldest System P3-500 , 32Mb Diamond , 256Mb ,SCSI HD. Not good enough for complex parts now retired.

We don't miss the SCSI on the later systems.

There are a number of people not happy with WinME so we are led to believe and 2000 behaves fine.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Ron,

Don't you mean you're running a UDMA drive? EIDE (last I checked) runs at 60MB or 66MB) UDMA's run at 100MB as opposed to the SCSI Wide Ultra 2 poking allong at a paltry 80MB. wink.gif

------------------

James M. ;)

Well got this card.

I have mad the decsion i need two more of them.

works great.

will let you know if i find any thing strang but so far really a nice card.

James the computer that was in the office was that yours?

Oh ya by the way sense you dont need it any more how about giveing up that computer bag.

name you money.

------------------

jay/ aka cadcam

Precision Programming

cnc programming &

Predator reseller

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Speaking of bosses Jay, how's yours? The kids? Mine are looking forward to me being home more now.

------------------

James M. ;)

Hey nice of you to ask much better i would say.

me and the boss are going to sit down and watch the movie "What Women Want" i am ready to laugh.

so do you leave on monday?

Man what are we going to do here with you gone for a whole week? i guess i will have to take care of your posts while you are gone , So maybe i can catch up.(Ya Right)

Remember if you need space like told you at lunch let me know.

------------------

jay/ aka cadcam

Precision Programming

cnc programming &

Predator reseller

[This message has been edited by cadcam (edited 06-09-2001).]