Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

This was a surprise!

danatoem

Just used optirest for the first time in V 2023. The path took soooooooo long to generate? About 45 minutes. Than upon starting my posting i suddenly remember, my collant is not turned on. No problem, go back into the path turn coolant on exit. What? It wants to sit and regenerate the path because of the coolant being off? Something really screwy about that. I just bailed,(thankfully i had just saved the part) and reopen and post with out coolant to edit after wards. Now i am posting, and its been about 15  minutes posting ...... looks like about half way through the posting.  Yeah, i know i can batch post or whatever but they want this path in an hour.  Okay, done venting!

Unable to post it actually ... it is pretty huge file anyways. I was actually surprised  it wanted to regenerate the path when other toolpath strategies don't seem to ask? what is taking so long is likely having to use .019 endmill in along .002 wide channels. The cavity depth is only .034 but has tons of tiny rib details.

A little bit of background info that might help it make more sense:  When you generate a toolpath, all pages viewed/parameters changed, and everything it generates creates what's called a checksum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checksum ).

If you haven't visited a page (in this case it sounds like the coolant page), the toolpath will be written with whatever is the programmatic defaults are.   When you open the parameters and view the page, the checksums can get altered because a page in the dialog changed.   In a case like coolant, it shouldn't matter, of course, but each exception has to be managed.

Please make sure to send the file into Mastercam so they can make sure that coolant page updates don't get flagged in whatever situation your file is in.

• Thanks 1
  • Like 1
On 7/7/2023 at 1:36 PM, SlaveCam said:

I find it more surprising that sometimes clicking "cancel" will make the toolpath dirty.

Cancel is cancel and should not make any changes whatsoever.

But in MC Cancel is NOT Cancel.

Merge is a good example, but not the only one.

Me: Mastercam, Cancel that last function.

Mastercam: Just because I was born Cancel doesn't mean I am Cancel!

On 7/7/2023 at 4:21 PM, Aaron Eberhard said:

A little bit of background info that might help it make more sense:  When you generate a toolpath, all pages viewed/parameters changed, and everything it generates creates what's called a checksum (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Checksum ).

If you haven't visited a page (in this case it sounds like the coolant page), the toolpath will be written with whatever is the programmatic defaults are.   When you open the parameters and view the page, the checksums can get altered because a page in the dialog changed.   In a case like coolant, it shouldn't matter, of course, but each exception has to be managed.

Please make sure to send the file into Mastercam so they can make sure that coolant page updates don't get flagged in whatever situation your file is in.

Just want to say a formal thank you for frequently taking time out of your day to share your knowledge Aaron!

Mastercam's code structure is interesting to me, and I've never heard of checksums.

The more I learn about the code behind the beast, the easier it is to understand why things work the way they do. Thanks again!

• Like 3