Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stock to Leave Trick for OptiRough I just learned to use

crazy^millman

Someone shared a Trick on the Mastercam forum where they had predefined stock to leave amounts color coded for different sizes. I add different amounts to leave from time to time on parts when I am doing different things. Today I ran into one situation I never had before. I am roughing a one off part for a customer. I wanted to leave some small section for a dovetail to hold with JAWS from the LANG vices. I added that shape to my part and push pulled the needed faces around there to get what I wanted model wise for it. I then add one more filed with zero stock to leave on the walls and floors. I then regenerated the toolpath with the new model I made. I then started getting islands left around those faces I didn't want. Then I realized the adjacent walls where I left them nominal and used the plus amount for walls and floors was creating the issue. I needed to add a new field with plus amount on those adjacent wall, but nothing on the floors. Now I get all the plus stock where I needed it and no stock which is really additional stock because the new model at the same plus amount of stock. I will re-qualify that area once I have roughed all the material off this side. Now I have a quick and easy way to flip the part and hold and locate it securely . I will use it to also finish that side after the part is allowed to normalize for 24 hours. Then I only have to make one fixture to finish the part. Sorry ITAR part so I cannot share it. When I get time which is almost never I will try to put up an example.

• Thanks 2
  • Like 4
12 hours ago, MWearne said:

Sounds like we need to schedule another RON WEEK! 👍

Mike sounds good. I have gotten many thanks for doing that. Funny seeing how the last one was never planned to being with and never thought you would turn it into Ron Week. Maybe if we plan something this time we can have a Q&A session to help with specific questions from end users. Let them throw us their most difficult issues and hopefully between the two of us we can give them answers. No post related stuff, but Mastercam Toolpath questions. I have to think up a new sample part to use that will take some time.   

• Like 3