Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Motion between Entry Motion and Dynamic Mill

Metals and materials

SO.... I am using 2D Dynamic mill to remove material from below surface.  I am keeping Entry motion as Helix only. When backplotting the toolpath, once helix entry is done, the tool goes back to original position, and then starts with the cutting toolpath. I want to remove that motion.

Please point me where am I doing something wrong. Attaching screenshots below. THank you in advance, 

5.PNG

6.PNG

7.PNG

That tool path believes that you are using that helix as an entry point....it helixs to create room for the tool to plunge and start cutting....it is how it's supposed to function.

I suppose you "could" try the "Toolpath Editor" but that can create its own headaches..

Right click on the toolpath, scroll to the bottom of that menu, you should see toolpath editor.

Myself, I would look to another tool path. That possibly looks like a good option for Contour Ramp

I'm not sure that is right. To me it looks like it is doing a profile ramp since his cutter plus his helix radius is probably too large to run that helix in between his chains.  The other thing could be since he has helix Center on Point and he might not have a point selected.

• Like 1
On 12/11/2023 at 11:27 AM, rgrin said:

I'm not sure that is right. To me it looks like it is doing a profile ramp since his cutter plus his helix radius is probably too large to run that helix in between his chains.  The other thing could be since he has helix Center on Point and he might not have a point selected.

Yeah, too large of an entry helix creates some very janky stuff at the transition between entry motion and cut motion.

From what I have seen is because it sees material on both sides of the tool, and conventional mills in the helix, and then has to reposition itself to climb mill in the actual cut motion.

Reducing the helix radius always made this go away.