Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Very silly question

When you have tapered walls or flats that "in between" any depth of cut you have set, it will calculate the tool path with the full DOC, then after that pass pick up and get whatever was in between the last DOC and the TOS

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Metals and materials said:

I think i kind of get it. It is useful at places where stepdown is not useful. 

Think about it like this....

You have a depth of cut set to .75...in between 0 & .75 there are several ledges....it will compute all of the area that can be cut right down to .75....then any additional passes will be cut at depths that are shallow to the .75

If you just has a big, deep flat pocket...you won't notice anything

• Thanks 1

stepdown/stepup is one of the best features in opti-rough, most especially when paired with a bull endmill with a radius on the tip. (something like a 1/2" dia endmill w/ .03r)

What used to take around 10-20 toolpaths for me to rough a part is now just one dynamic opti-rough. 

Then I highly suggest getting a little more in depth with the settings you can really optimize this toolpath. here is a great resource:

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, JParis said:

You have a depth of cut set to .75...in between 0 & .75 there are several ledges....it will compute all of the area that can be cut right down to .75....then any additional passes will be cut at depths that are shallow to the .75

okay, okay, I seee.... That is why it was stopping at .75 depth cut. 

I actually put DOC as .75!

2 minutes ago, Kyle F said:

when paired with a bull endmil

That is what I am using for the part. 

3 minutes ago, Kyle F said:

here is a great resource:

Thank you. Just skimmed through it. seems like a great video explaining all the parameters.