Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mill-Turn tailstock and sub spindle in same program

kyle528

Hey guys, I'm looking at a job where I will want to use the sub spindle to grip a turned center to support the part, and then take the center out and use the sub to pick the part and run the backside. Has anyone done this? I haven't started the programming the job yet but I'm not sure how I would define the "center" and the sub jaws to work together? 

Hopefully I am explaining this well enough.. I want to bore my sub jaws to my grip diameter, then turn a piece of stock in the sub to use as a center so I can pop it in my sub jaws, use it as a tailstock, and then just take the center out and grab the part in the sub to finish it. 

Like I said I have not yet started the programming, just getting a plan together right now, but as I get into it I can definitely get a file together to share if it helps. 

You can define both your jaws and tailstock center in the stock set-up page.

Tailstock advance/retract and part transfer still work.

You're going to want to add M00 from your canned text before the transfer at the least for tailstock removal, it's even better to check the chuck clamping condition - i.e Nakamura lets you check it and alarm out (G471Y0102.7Q1.I9998. <- if not clamped GOTO9998, have alarm and message at N9998) or check some other machine state that will prevent crashing when the sub-spindle moves across.

If you're going to do it a lot, it's worth making a spring loaded holder for the center and having it on the turret or in the tool chain (if that type of machine).

• Like 1