Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Offset tool path

Joels

I am writing my first complete Mastercam program. I need some help. I need to offset the tool path x.05 y-.05 I know i could move the geometry but i would like to use a setting in mastercam. I am writing this for a Fadal VMC cheers.gif

i am starting with a solid block of acetal plastic. First i rough out the bloc to square it up with a roughing end mill. When i put the block in the vise i need to make sure all sides clean up so i need to offset the tool path .05 in both X znd Y to do this. I would like to automatically do this in mastercam i just dont know how to do it.

I would do a surface rough pocket and choose the material to leave as .05 you will get .05 of materail in x,y,z and the advatage of the this toolpath is that is will pocekt out the whole part or blokc and leave the material you want on all surface. Now if you wanting to do this with just a pocket operation then you see the XYstock to leave then .05 here and that will leave .05 of material in x and y for the chian you have chossen to cut for a 2d part. The surface rough poeckt can be used for 2d but is the better choice for 3d parts.

HTH if not put up a smaple part on the FTP and we will try to help you with operation examples.

I think you should move the 0, 0 at the machine.

Translating or offsetting the toolpath will do what you want but will make the geometry in Mcam not match the square on the material. If you do additional ops now you can make a mistake in locating them too easily.

I'm on board with Millman's tip.....

If I understand you correctly: your first operation you contour with the roughing endmill. Set the "XY TO LEAVE" setting to .050.

Copy that operation by right clicking on the operation in the ops manager.

In the copied operation, select your finish tool, make any other adjustments, and set the "XY TO LEAVE" back to 0.

Keeps it simple that way.

m2c smile.gif