Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

extra moves in program

I was working on a lathe part and there were grooves in the cad drawing i was given (iges). I just made lines over the grooves for chaining so that I could plunge on a shoulder but not into the grooves. When I generate the code it has a series of Z moves even though x never changes. To give you an example here is a sample of the code:

N95 G3 X7735 Z17214 I-302 K-81

N100 G1 Z17068

N105 Z15357

N110 Z14808

N115 Z13413

N120 Z12862

N125 Z10987

N130 Z10438

N135 Z9800

Kind of annoying isn't it :-) Is there anyway to fix this besides going through and joining all of the lines.

Thanks in advance.

What version of Mastercam are you using?

Mastercam always treats each piece of geometry seperately. If you join the lines together you won't get that problem. If you are using version 8/8.1, you should not put the lines in, and turn off the plunging in your toolpaths. If you are not using V8, you're missing out on a lot of great features.

I tried setting the look ahead in the filter to the maximum value of 1000 but that did not work. I just recently updated to V8.1.1. I joined the lines together and that worked but i just don't want to go through every one i get cause there are some complicated profiles . Unfortunately it looks like i will have to. Oh, and i have to have plunging on for this particular part because of the geometry.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

cycle,

I would suggest joining the lines over grooves so that you can have the best of both worlds. There are enough groving cycles that this should not hinder generation of grooves. But as gsphens stated "Mastercam always treats each piece of geometry seperately".

------------------

James M. ;)