Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

O/T Fanuc, Yasnac or Haas Coordinate System

n_tydingco

I'm green around Haas controls and need to know what Coordinate System to use so that setting the fixture offsets looks and feels like the settings in the Fadal.

What I mean is -- machine home on a Haas is top, right corner. If I set my X axis for G54 at -10.00 (from machine home) and Y-axis at -6.00, why is it entered as PLUS values in the offset register?

The same holds true for the Z-offsets. Our part Z-origin is lower than the tool setting gage point, yet we need to set the value as a plus value.

Currently the machine is set to use the Yasnac coordinate system. Should it be different?

Thanks!

Norbert,

It sounds like you have the X and Y the same (assuming you use fixture offsets on your Fadal). The fixture offset for both machines is the distance and direction from your "part zero" to the machine home position. That would make them positive.

As far as your Z goes, it sounds like you use the actual tool length for your height offset. On our Fadals, we don't use the gage height. Our tool length offset page is filled with negative numbers. That number is the distance from the machine home position to the part Z zero, which is negative. If you call your gage height zero, then the head would have to move in a positive direction to put the tip of your tool at part Z zero. Does that make sense? smile.gif

Thad

Thad,

Our Fadals are the reason this is an issue for me. I've been working almost exclusively with them for over 10 years.

Anyway, we have an older Haas VF-3 at Tyco and I am also using two newer Haas VMC's (VF-9 and VF-2) at a shop that I am currently contracting at. The newer machines are set to use the Fanuc coordinate system and display the fixture offsets as negative distances relative to the machine home position. Now the tool length offsets are all showing negative values because our set gage is quite a ways down from the z home position.

The older machine at Tyco is set for the Yasnac coordinate system and shows the fixture offsets as positive relative to the machine home -- like invoking a G92 at that point.

I tried changing the coordinate system setting but still received overtravel alarms on my x and y axis. I'll try again on Monday and read through the manual -- a first -- to see if there is anything else that affects this...or if someone else knows the answer he/she can chime in at any time smile.gif

Norbert