Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

out of virtual memory

Chiang Chin Hock

Hello,

We have just loaded the Mastercam ver 8.11 on a new Pent III 1GB, 256MB RAM, 32MB Oxygen VX1 AGP, Windows 2000 o/s

I do not know for what reason, sometime even when we try to read in a less than 1MB MC8 file it show " Out of virtual memory error".

Does anyone encounter this error before?

Thank you.

------------------

Chiang C.H.

What do these settings do? I know what each one is but in terms of how your system runs, how do they affect them. when I set mine to the numbers above, my ram allocation changed to 120. does that sound about right? I'm running a pentium III 800 mhz with 256 ram. will these settings work for mine? Do they maximize the effiecency of ones PC?

just curious...

josh

With a nod to Linux (which uses swap partitions), I like to make a partition on my hard drive that is about double the size of my RAM. I use that partition exclusively for my swapfile.

This prevents the swapfile from getting fragmented.

Note: a fragmented file is spread all over a drive, making it slower for the computer to read.

I agree that this is a windows problem. However I'm not sure how to change the settings in win2000, can anyone help here. I am running an AMD Athlon 650 with 512mb ram.

Thanks in advance, Lee.

------------------

L.K.White

Premier Pattern Equipment Ltd

Edmomton, AB.

[This message has been edited by chalkyw (edited 06-20-2001).]

To change your page file settings in Win2K:

1. Right-click on "My Computer"

2. Select "Properties" from the resulting menu

3. Select the "Advanced" tab in the System Properties dialog

4. Click on the "Performance Options" button

5. Click the "Change" button on the Performace Options dialog

6. Select a drive of your choice and set the initial and maximimum page file size in the Virtual Memory dialog

7. "OK, "OK", "OK" and reboot for the settings to take effect.

If you take Jeremy's advice (which is good advice) and create a seperate partition for your page file, you can use FDISK (comes with Windows or on a bootable floppy) or the Disk Managment feature of the Computer Manager applet in the Control Panel which will both destroy all data on the partitions that you want to modify/create. Or you could use a third-party product like Partition Magic from Powerquest to modify/create partitions without destroying data. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Bullines (edited 06-20-2001).]