Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Chain question

Rick Morrison

I've learned how to extract geometry from a solid to use for chaining. I had a phone session with my reseller but I didn't want to have him just do it for me. I stopped him when I thought I had enough info.

My question of the day is about chaining. I've got the curves extracted from the solid and put in a distinct color. But when I try to chain, I get one entity, it says "Branch point reached" and it wants me to pick one at a time. I know I can pick the first and last, and get an open chain, but it stops at the first intersection. How do I get it to automactically continue picking entities to chain?

dig into chain options settings ,you will find some usefull in your case ,like plain mask

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The chain mask options on the Chaining Options dialog box speed up chaining for a large number of entities, or when branch points are involved. They let you pre-select categories of entities to be used to build your chain. Mastercam provides entity, color, level, and plane masks. For example, if you select Entity mask, then Arcs, the only entities you will be allowed to select will be arcs. All the other entities in the drawing will be "masked" out. Note that the entities allowed by the mask are not automatically selected for the chain. You must select them normally. The mask blocks all entities that do not match the mask criteria.

The Ignore depths option lets you chain entities at different depths. Checking this box in Chaining Options lets Mastercam chain entities regardless of their Z depth, as long as the entities are within the chaining tolerance in X and Y.

Notes:

¨ Color mask and plane mask are useful when you need to chain geometry that has many branch points. These masks can be set to exclude the entities making up the branch points. Mastercam can then create chains without stopping at each branch point.

¨ Plane mask allows chaining of only those entities in the same construction plane as the first entity you select.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Also you can chain solid loops without building curves

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A loop is a closed chain with no branch points that relates a selected solid edge to a selected solid face (reference face). Each edge on a solid model has two possible reference faces and can be part of two possible loops. On the solid in the following graphic, the red edge can be part of either blue loop. The reference faces for the red edge are numbered 1 and 2 and determine where the chain is placed on the solid.

1. Choose Solids the Chaining Methods menu. Mastercam displays the Solid Toolpath Chain menu.

Note: In some cases, Mastercam displays the menu automatically and this step is not required.

2. Toggle Edges and Loop to Y.

3. In the graphics window, move the cursor over the edge you want to chain. When Mastercam highlights the edge, click to select it.

4. When the Pick Reference Face menu displays, choose Other to cycle through the possible loops. When the intended selection is highlighted in the graphics window, choose Done to select it.

5. When the Start Point menu displays, choose Forward step and Back step to move the chain start point. Choose Done to save the new start point.

6. Repeat steps 3, 4, and 5 to chain additional loops.

7. Choose Done again on the Chaining Methods menu.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HTH

WTHH

I'm playing with the chain mask options. Right now I have the entire top plane entities extracted from the solid. I must be choosing my masks incorrectly, because it always stops at the branch. I can do with the solid, as suggested by Winnie, but I am adding lines to limit the boundary, so I am using the entities, not the solid. Color mask, entity mask, etc, still have it stopping at the branch.

My reseller(MACDAC-Brian Duprey) just called to see how I was doing. He walked me through what a branch is. It is where there is more than one entity to choose. I had somehow made duplicate geometry, which he showed me how to detect and erase. Bingo! That solved it! Great timing on the call. Again I appreciate all the help.

Thanks for your patience, too! I'll get there!