Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

face grooving

JayMan

Looking for some help on face grooving with mastercam lathe,,,I have a groove in the face of the part that the od dia is 2.129 the id is 1.379,

the depth from z zero is Z-.657, and there is a full radius in the bottom of the groove.my tool is a face grooving tool that has a .158 dia ball on it and can be plunged into the face at an od dia of 1.89-2.36 and then work in both directions.

I'd sure appreciate any help, thanks

Trevor is on the mark in my opinion. If you chain the groove and pick 'bi-directional' for roughing you will probably be in your '1st plunge' range on the initial move. The bi-directional path takes a little longer than a single-direction path but balances insert wear much better. If you want to take a couple three steps down [i would with that groove depth] you can select 'Depth Cuts' and 'ZigZag between depths' if you want to use a unidirectional cut and still balance out the wear. If, for some reason, the initial move is not in your diameter range you will be forced to create a dummy groove wall to force the tool to plunge at an acceptable X value.

Note to the Product Development Guy: a user-definable 1st X value would be a sweet addition to MC Lathe for facegrooving

C

Note to the Product Development Guy: a user-definable 1st X value would be a sweet addition to MC Lathe for facegrooving

Chris - This is right on,

PDG - From a tooling perspective, the trepanning style of a face groover requires a specific diameter to start at to avoid heeling out on the support for the insert. Check out some tooling catalogues to be your guide when making the enhancement.

• 13 years later...

Hi Guys,

I am facing the same problem in mastercam. Not able to program for face grooving. I followed the above instructions, but then also it shows the message "ERROR MAKING TOOLPATH"

I have a groove in the face of the part for which the od dia is 3.975 the id is 3.6525,

the depth from z zero is Z-.068, and there is a full radius in the bottom of the groove i.e. .031. My tool is a face grooving tool that has a .125 wide insert on it.

Please help me out with this

100-4000-161.PDF

5 minutes ago, FNU said:

So what do you recommend using???

A tool that will fit. You have a .031R which mean you need to use a tool that is smaller that .031R. Look to Kaiser Thin-Bit or PH-Horn they both have a good selection of smaller tools that will handle this project. Kaiser Thin Bit will even call out the bit and holder you need from that print.