Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

2d contour cut problems

I copied a file to the ftp site in the MC9 folder called contour problems.mc9. I am trying to contour cut both of these profiles with no luck at all. I have been running Mastercam for almost 8 years now and have seen this problem only a couple of times. The profiles are saved out of an existing MC9 file and merged into an AutoCad file that I igsed in. My guess is that it's an AutoCad related problem and somehow is affecting the profiles created in and copied from a Mastercam file. If I merge the AutoCad file into the MC9 file the profiles cut fine. Does any body know what causes this? banghead.gif

From now on I will merge the AutoCad file into the MC9 file. I'm just curious as to what causes this. We work very closly with AutoCad and Mastercam.

Hey gibbs I just had a look at your file. The toolpath needed regeneration. And when I regenerated it, it shown overlapping entity.

My system tolerance are very tight. I trimmed it at overlapping area and the toolpath was just fine.

IMHO. Use tighter tolerance and analyze chain again. cheers.gif

After further review, I had to redraw all the radii to get the profile to cut. The profiles cut fine before I merged in the ACAD file. Also the profile was created by taking 1 profile and mirroring about "Y" (lh to rh). This caused the arcs on the rh side of the profile to cut on the inside of the profile while all the lines were cutting on the outside of the profile. cuckoo.gif

Some of the arcs where in a View #9 and some in (as you would expect) View #1

To get the toolpath in CONTOUR PROBLEMS_REVISED.MC9 I output all the geometry to an IGES file. Moved all the original geometry (certainly could have deleted it all, but kept it for comparison purposes) to Level 1 to “get it out of the way”. Read the IGES data back in the MC9 file. Then did Screen, Next Menu, Comb(ine) Views and re-chained on this new profile.

Some details...

The difference between View #1 and #9 was just sign of the ‘X’ of their view matrixes were opposite.

Name : SYSTEM VIEW 1 - TOP

Origin : X0. Y0. Z0.

Number : 1

Matrix

: X1. Y0. Z0.

: X0. Y1. Z0.

: X0. Y0. Z1.

--------------------------------------------------

Name : SYSTEM VIEW

Origin : X0. Y0. Z0.

Number : 9

Matrix

: X-1. Y0. Z0.

: X0. Y1. Z0.

: X0. Y0. Z1.

After reading the geometry back in from the IGES file those arcs that were in View #9 are now in View #4 (the ‘bottom’ view). Doing the Combine Views on everything brought those (30) arcs into View #1.