Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

bullines..... i need help!!!

biss03

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winnie,

I learned Unix in school (night school working on A.S. in IT)and found it to be straightforward and simple to use...unlike SOME operating systems out there!

logo_rh_home.png

I currently have redhat 9 on my laptop and love it. I use it mostly for just tinkering...nothing serious. I'm really still learning to use it but it is easy to see that this is an awesome resource. I want to make the leap at home but my wife and kids are resistant to learning something other than Windows. I could just partition my HD and install both but for now I'm content to run Linux on my laptop and Windows for everything else.

cheers.gif Cheers to Open Source Programming!!

img.php?image=498

Alt Master Linux here as a main Linux system +Mandrake

First Unix that I tried was MiniLinux with Unix dos Mounted file system ,then Red Hat4

RH4 was cool Twm ,OLWM ,I was using it when I learned C writing code in vi and compiling in gcc .

I tested and used a lot of other different flavors ,but Alt Master is the best ,IMHO

Alt Linux Web page

Teh xkill

Brent !

Why to dump Mandrake ?

Install Alt on some spare partition ,use in both Linuxes the same swap partition and installing Lilo use it to boot all your Windozers ,both Linuxes ,floppy ,cd`s ,Zip drive or anything else your Imagination can tell you .

Teh good idea before installing Alt Look over existing Lilo table to know ,from what vmlimuz

image you are booting and with what switches .

Also take a rule always make a boot disk for installed linux otherwise if you made a mistake configuring Lilo in partitions or mount points Lilo may never boot and you will need to boot from custom Linux repair disk that I use ,create a mount point ,mount your Linux / root file system and reconfigure Lilo.

Or to kill Lilo and Restore Windows boot manager (Agrrr!)

In Alt I have a mount point for my files in Mandrake ,and vice versa .

Lilo can boot anything you can imagine ,any partition ,file and device .

I once had 3 Linuxes together with bunch of "other

things" and all was booting fine .

Just never use grub !

Alt Linux has the best Linux setup I ever saw ,recognise and installs right the hardware that Red hat and Mandrake mde me problems

I always was aable to install RH or MNDRK ,configure grafic card driver ,sound and so on ,but I always had problems and it always was a kick from my side to set my OS as I wanted .

Alt instaled without any problem I was not able to believe !

Teh MPD factor

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If you're hesitant to install anything and want to play with Linnux, there's always Knoppix. It runs from a CD-ROM and installs nothing. I like it and have been playing with it for like a year or so.

JM2C

My project of the month :

I have nice old crap :

Pentium MMX 200 64 Ram .

I want to install some modern Linux with relativly new kernel but without heavy xwindows managers (like KDE,Gnome )

It must have all system tools of a standart system ,but nothing special and a xwindows manager like TWM .

I am devided between Alt Junior ,Fedora ,Debian ,and Gentoo .

I am driving toward Gentoo .

Any thoughts ?

Or better to find somewhere Red Hat5 and to add things for my tasting ?

Guys ,this things come from lack of money .

I always need them for something else ,especially emigrating to Israel .

So instead of giving my computer to some wise guy from PC shop to fix problems I was reading books

and learning things .

And Linux was the same -I loved Macs ,I used Mac at work and hated Windows ,so I found Linux .

with linux that days even in computer shop was no guy to help you .

RTFM is all the Linux based on .

In fido7.ru.linux if guy asks silly question without RTFM he can be flamed .

I was going to just get another HD to install AltLinux. I have drive bays tray you can swap. I didn't meant switch to a different distro on a new drive. I'd still have Mandrake...I don't have enough room on the Linux drive to dual boot with LILO or GRUB. I'll just swap out another drive for a new distro.

Can you dual boot over 2 different drives? I think I asked this before.

How do you see...

Security Flaws Found in SP2! duh!

Link here: http://www.heise.de/security/artikel/50051