Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Negative Stock Magnitude cannot exceed the tool corner radius. - WHY?

bryan314

It's friday and I need to rant.

Back in 8.0 we could do this, now we can't. Why? banghead.gif Why can't I have a cutter radius smaller than my stock to leave? Argh! curse.gif

If I have areas on a surface equal to (or less) stock magnitude, ie sharp corner. If I have 2 cutters, one with a radius bigger than magnitude and one smaller than magnitude. The bigger cutter will miss spots. Right? frown.gif I'll need a cutter equal to or less than magnitude to clean up. Right? But what are the chances a standard cutter exists with that exact size? banghead.gif

Bryan smile.gif

Winnie,

Correction to your correction. Yes you could. biggrin.gif I was very specific on the version; v8.0. When mastercam released v8.1.1 it was removed. Back when I was using 8.1.1 I kept a secondary install of 8.0 for just this reason. frown.gif

Luck,

I wish. biggrin.gif But not for all the tea in china. I have no desire to get anywhere close to toolpath generation side of mastercam. It's scary. That's why we pay Cnc Software the big bucks. Right?

Bryan smile.gif

Bryan !

Not for all kinds of toolpathes .

I used v8 and never was able to do it in surface->contour as long as I a can remember AND ALWAYS BUILt NEGATIVE GEOMETRY .

iF this is right what you says I would reconsider to return 8.0 to PC or at least to test it(I am not so sure I used ver 8.0 at all or jumped straight to 8.1 ) .

As long as I remember you can have negative ofset without limit on wireframe toolpath and on surface ->flowline (maybe ) which I do not use completly.

I also understand the geometry of this limitation and know how to overcome it .

I always can build negative geometry fast enough

quote:

I always can build negative geometry fast enough

frown.gif I can't.

1) frown.gif I suck at surface creation or modification.

2) frown.gif Our surfaces are usualy too complex for me to waste time on what the toolpath should do.

3) frown.gif I'm not allowed to make changes to designs.

Bryan smile.gif The surface idiot.

My guess is the code is quite complicated and probably had problems. They probably shut it off temporarily to get the op working for 8.1.1 and when only a few (or none) people complained they put their time and effort into other areas.

It's my hope as more and more people do more complicated parts and run into this problem they will have to add it back in. (PLEASE!! biggrin.gif )

Bryan smile.gif

Bryan ,most of the programs till the recent time had this limitation .

You see ,to correctly create surface negative geometry you must have outer fillets to the offset value ,that draws to this limitation .

It happens when you create geometry resembling Xform->offset contour (which have normal -based

geometry)

That`s by the way funny thing cause the offseted geometry will never be bigger or less by length than rad value .

If you look on toolpath contour geometry you will see that you have options :roll over all corners and sharp .

Roll over all contours this is a first exAMPLE

It not only dangerouus ,you simply can not build right geometry for radius less that offset value .

But you can use another algorithm like contour sharp movement ,you will not have this limitation but you must calculate many conditions and check if offseted surfaces overcross than trim them or to extrude or if some of them turned to nothing rebuilt surface relation .

In the first case you simply build fillet to the value of offset and you can always make it without undercut ,here you must manage all your surfaces and regard it as one kinda complex surfaCE .

But you have no limitation of the first algorithm .

There will be day that it will become standart but now look more closely on my tricks as a workaround :

To use wireframe toolpath ,

pocket and contour with tap angle .

solid thickening and shell command as quick ways in electrode geometry macking

My last tricks regarding this and the use of fillets to use with surface offset command

HTH

WTHH

I also think that it would be great if you could negitive offset greater than the tool radius. Often I want to machine a material undersize then build up an oversize surface layer (shell)and remachine to size. Currently only being able to machine undersize by the tool radius is limiting and it is ussualy not practical to use a bigger diameter tool. Offseting surface geometry can be very time consuming but at the moment thats what we have to do. Lets hope they are addressing this issue in X.